Go Bottom

Cub Cadet 8454 block heater

View my Photos
keffa12
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-09-25          174187

Hey guys,
Does anyone know where i can get a block heater for an 8454 cub cadet. Ive seen them for the 7000 series and some places want 430 bucks for it. Sounds astronomical to me.

Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-26          174198

I don't know that tractor but generic plugs are cheap and I'd think a mechanic's labor would be worth $50-100 so I'd ask the reason for that quote. If an installed price, do they plan to pull the engine out?

Talking generally, to use the block (rather than the lower hose), find an expansion plate or freeze plug. Because you'll remove the plug, you can drain some coolant from the block first or just let it leak. Try drilling a hole in the middle of the plug to lever and chisel and pull it out. Hard the first time because you mustn't hurt the circumferance.

Take the plug to an auto-supply store or tractor dealer for the matching size. You may have to decide on a press-in or screw-in, the wattage, and what if any sealant or gasket to prevent any leaks through the extreme temp changes and some pressure.

Connect the supplied power cord and fasten it securely with the plug where you can access it in the winter and it won't be in the way in the summer. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-09-27          174214

I would definitely recommend an inline type heater in the rad hose over an add-on in-block heater.

It's not only a much better option for cold climates, it's dead easy to install yourself.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
keffa12

2010-09-27          174221

Thankyou both for the replies. I was just curious if there were any out there as ive tried searching and found nothing. As a mechanic by trade i realise that some mods would have to be done if there wasnt a factory or generic type install kit. Im really looking for the easiest solution as i dont really have much time for doing things for myself and winters a comin LOL. Murf Do you have any recomendations as to manufacturer for your inline heater suggestion?

Thank you both again for your time and suggestions. ....

View my Photos
boltboss

2010-09-30          174267

How about using one of the magnetic heaters that are designed to attach to the oil pan? Anyone have experience with those to share?

JN ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2010-09-30          174272

My block heater worked great for a quarter-century, then failed and won't come out. (Dealer installed it on the new tractor and now it seems welded in. I broke a 3/4"-drive socket trying.)

One kind of oil-pan heater is a thin one you affix permanently. The way I use my tractor I figured I'd need a skid plate to protect it, so went with a magnetic one. Turned out to need a contortionist to put on/take off in the slush, so I attached a light wooden handle, which made it easy. But last winter I felt it didn't heat as well as the block heater, and it won't go in the middle of the pan because of the driveshaft.

I've not tried the hose type. Wondering if it impedes coolant flow and how you prevent leaks. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login