Go Bottom

Deck wheels

View my Photos
lbt1212
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-05-14          178465

I have a CC 2518. Bought it 2004. I have broken 4 caster arms at the weld. Dealer says wheels are not supposed to be rolling with mower. I have had the wheels as high as they will go. I can only go as low as setting 4 without having the wheels on the ground. But the grass is too high for my desire. Do I have to remove the wheels if I want setting 3 or 2?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Deck wheels

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-14          178469

"Dealer says wheels are not supposed to be rolling with mower."

You might want to get a second opinion on that. ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-15          178493

The head wrench at the Deere dealership mower division agrees. The guage wheels are to prevent scalping only, not to be used to support the deck while mowing.
I used to use them for support and wore out lots of little plastic wheels, they last lots longer now.
Frank. ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
lbt1212

2011-05-15          178495

OK I can accept that. Do you think I'd have to remove the deck wheels to use a lower heght setting than #4 ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-05-15          178496

I'm not familliar with the adjustments on a Cub Cadet so I don't know how low #4 is compzared to the Deere I'm used to.
I don't think it would be good to remove the wheels completely, they are your last line of defense against the deck gouging into the turf.
Frank. ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
lbt1212

2011-05-16          178505

I agree about the deck gouging the turf. Deck settings on the Cub are #1 (low) to #6 (high). At #4 the wheels are mm's above the turf but grass is cut at an undesireable height. To go lower with deck the wheels would be hard on the turf (basically rolling consistently with the mower deck. There has to be some other adjustment I am not seeing. Thanks for the responses ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
lbt1212

2011-05-16          178506

Thanks for the reply. You say "best to get 2nd opinion". Well that is sort of what I am doing here and I still need further conversation with the dealer. He has been very helpful in other matters. The search for the truth continues.

Thanks again ....

Deck wheels

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-05-16          178511

No idea if same on your mower but looked at manual on line for their series 100 I think. Per it there is only one way to adjust the wheels and that is their axle bolt raising or lower it in the mount to another hole. It does agree the wheels are not suppose to be in contract with the ground nor should they have "excess" clearance.

If you have raised the wheels to the higher bolt hole and they still ride on the grass two thoughts: are you sure you have the correct blades for the deck, it might be suppose to have blades where the cutting edge is lower than the mounting holes are and you have straight blades or could you happen to have the wrong wheels on the deck (which if you have had to replace would doubt it came with wrong wheels and you bought more and they sold you wrong ones also).

Deck wheels

View my Photos
lbt1212

2011-05-16          178514

Nice thoughts...thanks for looking....blades are direct from Cub Cadet and wheels are original...just replaced the caster assembly (also from Cub Cadet)

I think I will just have to take it to the dealer and have him actually see the problem ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login