Go Bottom

CC 3240 PTO belt issue

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-03-29          182929

Hi Everyone,

I have a Cub Cadet 3240 that we bought used a couple years ago-it has 480 plus hours on it. When we bought it, one of the belts from the engine shaft to the double PTO pulley would jump off. It did not happen much. But now has been happening more frequentlyand recently it jumped off and jammed the vaccuum pulley so that the PTO would not disengage. I figured I had better replace the belts. But the new belt jumped off and was shredded. The double PTO pulley has a ding on the outside so I figured that was why; but after replacing the double pulley the belt (only the forward most one) jumps off and gets shredded. After looking at some parts diagrams online (Messicks) I noticed there is a spring that is missing off of the arm brake. Do I need to replace that spring? Do I need to get 2 new belts so that they are both the same (i.e. not shredded)? Any thoughts? The mower deck works OK with one belt driving the pto pulley, but should I be operating it with only one belt?

Thanks for any guidence.
Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

CC 3240 PTO belt issue

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-03-29          182930

First thing comes to mind is the alignment of thr pulleys.
Can you somehow sight like you sight a crooked two by four to see if a pulley has slid on the shaft or somewhow be out of line?

Perhaps there is an idler that has na bad bearing, a bent or loose bracket causing it to be out of line?

The single belt you have should have a mate that is pretty close to the same length. Rather than buying a matched set which can get pricey maybe the NAPA or a similar store could come close with another single belt by measuring one againts another.

Frank. ....

CC 3240 PTO belt issue

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-03-30          182932

If there is a spring missing that could be allowing the belt slack to jump off as you are having happen.

As to matched sets of belts, is it suppose to be two belts or a double belt (they do make them). My thoughts are trying to match a used belt with a new belt you will find that difficult. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login