Go Bottom

Springtime birds gettin it on in my grill

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-23          110246

Yep it's spring time and the critters are out looking for love. For the second year in a row, I've got a pair of European Starlings making a nest in my grill that's on my deck. They enter the back and fill it up with nesting crap. Last year, I just fired up the grill and burned the stuff out daily.

This year I decided to let them have the grill. It's old and the burner is shot. I got me a new stainless steel one that's parked in the garage where they can't get to it. But what a friggin mess they make.

I had one set make a nest in the front yard about 10 feet off the walkway. They were pretty stupid since I mow there!

Anyone else with a stupid bird story?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-04-24          110255

How about when they get down your chimney and bump their way through the flapper and then fly all over the house covered with soot?

When you have vaulted ceilings you can't even whack them with a broom, so that just leaves the pellet gun option. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-04-24          110285

Thankfully I don't have a chimney to cause that problem. We did shoot a spider on the ceiling once with a pellet gun. It was at a buddy's house. Then we realized you could still see the pellet in the ceiling. So it was panic time to dig it out with a steak knife before his mother came home. ....

View my Photos
havoctec
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-04-25          110308

You really should not let them reproduce and actually the best thing you could do is kill the adults too. Starlings are a non-native invasive species that compete heavily with native cavity nesting birds. It's a shame they are here at all.

View my Photos
funchy

2005-04-25          110310

If you're not using it anymore, get rid of it... end of problem. To discourage them from messing with your new grill, consider one of those tight fitting covers.

Re: chimney birds. They may be chimney swifts (a protected species). Instead of pulling out a gun next time you see an animal in the house, try a net instead. If you have an ongoing problem with these birds, have a cap put on the chimney. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-04-25          110331

It can be very difficult to net anything with 18 foot ceilings.

When we can corner them in a smaller room we catch them in a towel and turn them loose.

If that is not possible, you simply cannot have birds perching in the kitchen and eating areas. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-05-02          110639

I can't fault the bird but we had a big hawk fly into the exact center of the largest window in our great room once. It flew off so I hope it was OK. The funny thing was we hadn't washed the windows for a long time and they were covered with dust and dirt and we could see an exact silhouette of the hawk in the window - wings spread, head with beak and talons. It almost looked like a xerox copy of the bird! I almost hated to wash the windows. ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-07-19          113665

I wish I could get a bird to fly into my window and make a mark that looks like Mother Terresa. The window would be out and on E-Bay so fast the new caulk would still be wet!
Starting bid about 4K.
I heard how mauch the grilled cheese went for and was astonished! ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2005-08-03          114315

We had a pigeon fly into one of our windows and it left the same sort of imprint on the window. I had not thought of the religeous icon angle. Down here next to the border that is big! I think that the grill cheese came from this area. I see something like this on the local news about once a month. The most recent one was a guy that saw Jesus in the wood grain of his door after he stained it. As far as ebay is concerned, I suppose every miracle has its price. ....

View my Photos
Nickalus

2005-08-03          114319

Next time a bird gets in your house - turn off all the lights, close all the window shades; in other words, make the house as dark as possible; then, open a door. The bird will make right for the light and fly out of your house, works everytime, if its daytime that is.

Cheers,
Nick ....

View my Photos
taheide

2005-08-11          114709

I have 18 cats, end of birds. ....

View my Photos