Go Bottom

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-07-27          113989

I have a massive ground hornets nest in my back yard. They took up residence in an old gofer hole (trail system)LOL. I would not worry too much because it is in theback of the back yard but I have an ole crippled up dog that my wife loves way more than me, and I am affraid she will mess with the area and be attacked as fall comes and they get more aggressive. Since I have NOT had to cut the grass for over a month and a half (NO RAIN) until this week, I have not noticed this and they have had the opportunity to thrive WAY too long. I can count 10-15 entering in less than 25 seconds and many leaving during the same time. This went on for more than a half hour as I sat and watched the other day. Although it was almost 100 deg. that day and they may of been more active. The next day I still counted almost as many. I would think this could be a very very large nest. While it was pouring rain out 2 days agao, I went out and took a look. They STILL were flying in and out non stop even in the rain! I sprayed a whole can of wasp killer Ortho) the kind that foams, last night. Did next to nothing! Still in and out today. The hole is on the edge (to almost under) of a bush so lighting this bad boy on fire could be disaterous (BIG BUSH)!!! LOL.
Any suggestions? My bride suggested a professional? My pride wont let me do this at this point yet! If my dog gets it tomaroo I will pay for a long time si I better atleast look like I am trying something?
Any suggestions?

help Mate's (and Sheila's)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hornet help

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-07-31          114145

Try flooding them out with a garden hose. If that dose not work then you are going to need a professional to to smoke them out/ dead. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
lamarbur

2005-07-31          114159

wait till almost dark and spray carberator cleaner or brake cleaner at the nest., best instant bug killer I ever ran into ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Nickalus

2005-08-03          114322

Lamarbur is right, what-ever you try do it a good hour after the sun sets then, hit em with everything you got. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos

2005-08-03          114338

Brokenarrow

I have had many of these ground nests and found the best
way to really get rid of them is kerosine in a small
sprayer. You may or may not want to use kerosine in the
area you discuss, that I cant tell you. I have done this
and then followed up by removing the soil with my FEL
and bringing back uncontaminated soil to fill it in.
As I said, it will work in situations where nothing else
does, but it is not good for the soil. You have to weigh
that into the equation. I have already had to knock out
a 12 inch balsam stump(removed the top with a chain saw)
with my bulldozer as these nest can go quite deep.
Good luck
doc ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Larry D.

2005-09-01          115786

I wiped out a 300 hornet nest like this.
Found their entry hole, made sure there was only one.
Waited till a couple of hours after dark when they were all home asleep.
Used about 2 cups of a volatile liquid that would evaporate easily to suffocate them.-I used laquer thinner. No residue to remove.
Quickly poured the liquid into the tunnel with a funnel.
Dumped a shovel full of dirt on the hole.
Went to bed.
Dug out the nest the next day-all dead- no further hornets at that location. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
alvanko

2005-09-03          115894

Seven dust. Sprinkle around the hole and in the hole . They will be dead in a day or two. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-09-16          116523

wait till almost dark and spray carburetor cleaner or brake cleaner at the nest., best instant bug killer I ever ran into
****------------------========______----------
You left out my favorite
Degreaser
[color=criminson]********** ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-11-26          119877

As a guy in the bug business for 20 yrs. Easiest way to get these fellas is at night. In addition, any insecticidal dust poured, squirted or dumped into the hole will do the job. Doesn't take a lot either, maybe an ounce or so. Number one rule is never to be holding the flash light when you do it. Have someone stand a short distance (15-20 feet) away and 90 degrees out from you pointing the light at the hole as you approach. Best trick is to put the dust in a bottle with a spout, like a plastic ketch up bottle. 2 quick squeezes in the hole and they will be gone by morning. The dust stays where you apply it and doesn't leach down in the water table as petroleum product do.

Happy hunting ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120178

I never knew what ground hornets were to clearing out cuttent lot. The killer that shots a long stream worked fine for me in the daylight from back of moving tractor in daylight. I did not dig up any nest. Am about 100% they did not go or come back any of the 2 or 3 I found.

Strangest thing I have ever seen on this line was a professional killer bee guy take some mixture of dishwasher solution in water and sprayed bees and then wiped them off as they were dead that quick. Can tell you did not work on wapse for me. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34

2005-12-01          120182

The soap breaks down their exoskeleton. Works on all hymenoptera class of insects. Works really well with ants which are in the same class of insects. Like the ones you see coming up in the sidewalks or driveways.

However, usually not quick enough to stop people, not in the know, from being stung.

Sureshot from 15ft away does the trick, but typically better results are achieved when done at night when they are all back in the nest.

But, I am the same guy that does them during the day all the time with dust. Of the thousands I have done, I have never had to retreat them. But I am also the same guy that gets the call from others after they have been stung several times or they have sealed the yellow jackets into their house when they plug the holes.

Have some good old bug stories on the stinging insects out there. Even the one running through the yard waving my hands and jumping in the pool...ha ha ha

Happy hunting ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120185

wildbil,
let us knwo where to read and see those stories.

You have my attention on the soap and ants. Will that work on fireants or do you have any idea? (If you don't have fire ants where you live you are blessed. But they are coming.) If so or you don't know suggestions on treating them with soap would be appreciated? I would gladly place a bar in each mound for them of their favorite brand. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34

2005-12-01          120194

I don't have the little fellas here in Michigan. Nor can I say I have tried the soappy water on fire ants. If I were to try it, I would use a 5 gallon bucket of water mixed with a half a bottle of dawn dish soap to see how it works.

I have put put a link below to a website that specifically deals with the fire ants and their control. Hopefully this will help you out with them.

If they make it to Michigan, then I will get to play with them.

http://www.antcolony.org/fire_ants.htm ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-01          120197

They do not play fair.

Truly hope they never make it. There are the most feard insect in our part of the world. Would never let a child play in a yard by themself due to their threat. It is not have you been stung (most people here say bitten) by them, rather how many at one time or the last time was ... ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-01          120203

Bill;
I have asked this question before. There are red wasps here with black wings and then there are red wasps here that are 2/3 bigger and red wings. The bigger red wasps have a nasty temperment. They attack you a large distance from the nest and have bad sting. They hover about 10 or 15 feet up and run at you, sticking you.
I can not find anything on this species and have some nests around. Luckally they tend to nest high in the barn or trees and therefore you are not likely to get near the nest, but I have had them attach me in the yard for no apparent reason. Has anyone encountered these? ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34

2005-12-01          120204

Peters,
Take a look at this url and see if this is what you were talking about.

http://www.forestryimages.org/images/768x512/0001018.jpg ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-01          120205

No they look like these exect they are brighter red, 1/3 larger (1.5-2 inch long) and have orange red wings. ....

Link:   Red Wasps

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34

2005-12-01          120206

I bet it is this one then. These guys can get big

http://bugguide.net/node/view/28914 ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Peters

2005-12-01          120207

No I have plenty of those and they are rather docile. They are a little darker on the back end and do not have bright red wings. These are larger about double the size.
I am not sure I want to risk life and limb to take a picture. I have been bit twice. Hit me near the heart on the chest one day I thought I might have a heart attack. Hit me on the check just below the nose and I still have a divet. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-12-07          120652

LOL Its funny your still talkin about this subject! I think it is a stinging matter of fact!
I went out to my shed this week. You all know the one!!! The one that I saw while cutting grass (way back in the back yard) that had 20 or more a minute flying in and out of? Anyway, I open her up for the first time since early summer. I look up in the ceiling!!! NOTHIN!!! WOW I was amazed! No big huge basketball sized nest haning from the roof!
NOW HERE IS THE KICKER
This is exactly what I woulda done if I opened her up at NIGHT! RIGHT? Look up to the inside roof with a light? ALL the time I woulda been in serius trouble becaue that "Basketball" sized nest I was looking for in the roof woulda been right at my feet!!!!! when I opened the door! (never saw this in my life) This nest was wrapped around a lawn edger on the wooden FLOOR of my shed! About the six of a basketball. I woulda walked right into the dammm thing! I know it cause I never look down when entering a out building in the summer months!

I got a question? My other shed has never had a wasp or hornet in it? It is metal BUT I also have 3-4 gas cans in it. The smell (gas smell) is profound in this shed. Is this a reason that they do NOT go in this little 10x12 shed or is it because it is a metal rood shed?
Thanks ya-all ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-12-08          120682

Barrow - that'll teach ya to not look where you step!! I usually look down when I enter my buildings but then I've opened them up before and had interesting things like snakes in there. Enough of those and you start to consider watching special forces movies and entering your outbuildings with a shotgun at the ready.

Actually, I about did that once. In my last house, I was going to look up in the attic. I had opened the hatch and was just about to poke my head through when I heard something hissing at me. That was not cool!! Especially since there was no light up there. I went and bought a live trap. I had a .45 semi-auto on the top of the ladder as I put the trap up there without sticking my head up there. I would have been ok with patching holes in the roof as long as nothing attacked my head. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
wildbill34

2005-12-08          120689

Brokenarrow,

I haven't seen them select one over the other due to gas. It is mostly the luck of the draw where they start their nests.(depends a lot on where the female overwinters) I have seen them in just about every conceivable area possible. I have had sheds that didn't have them for years and then all of the sudden they show up a couple of years in a row. Then disappear again for years. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-12-14          121088

One thing I have noticed over 20 years is that they do not like the Arsinic treated wood (the old green pressure treatment). I have had tree stands for over 20 years and never once have I found a nest under one of them. I have had 3-4 stands that were built with plain old untreated plywood and 2x6's and sure enough their is almost always a nest under those. Dont know if its shear luck or if the arsinic has something to do with it. Also I notice my old dog NEVR laid down on my arsinic treated wood deck? Dont know if it had something to do with it or not.
Here is my newest idea's on controlling these little basturds. This spring I plan to trap as many of the early flying females as I can. (after early spring I think it is futile to continue trapping since all of them are just servants of the nest then.) I also plan (and tell what you think of this idea) to drill a round 1 ince hole in the top of this shed. Attatch a hose adaptor and attach a 10' long hose to it. (enough so I can reach it from the ground) Seal up around the hole and then wait till summer! LOL HA HA After I know there is a nest in there I will use the hose to administer that fogger that kills these little pollinating loving little friends of plants.
This will be more FUN than anything! It also assures me of being able to get in this shed with out having a minor cardiac arrest. Whatcha think of that idea?
By the way? Did I tell you I just love this this time of year? 10 inches of snow and not one hornet.

Last thing. Have you ever noticed this? I left a nest from the year before in the peak of my house last year there were NO new hornets that made a nest in that spot? Is this because of the old unused nest there? ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Carldarnell

2005-12-21          121521

We rented a house that had not been lived in for a while. When it can time to cut the grass I started in on it. In short order I ran over a spot where a nest of large yellow jackets nested in the ground. I left the mower on top the spot and went for the gas can. You could hear the little buggers getting hit by the blade. I jerked the mower back and dumped a gallon of gas on the hole. Then I took a wad of paper, set it on fire and from a distance tossed it on the hole. WHOOOOMP, ball of fire, end of bees. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-12-21          121525

I betcha they just got ALL stirred up by the mower vibrating their nest eh? ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kwschumm

2005-12-22          121542

Most (all?) hornets and wasps won't reuse nests from one year to the next. In the late fall the females leave the nests to find a place to stay for the winter. In the spring they come out and always find a new place to start a brood. Baiting (not trapping) in the spring seems to work very well here. We used to hate going outdoors in the late summer but now there is rarely a yellow jacket to be found. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
Deereman

2005-12-24          121673

Brokenarrow, This may be too late, I've tried all the spray and such, but you never seem to get them all, and also contaminate the soil. What I've found to be the best(not for every application) is to set-up you shop vac out there with the hose just a few inches form the hole and let run it run all day. You will suck them up...comming and going!HTH. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kthompson

2005-12-28          121836

Carl,

The thought of the blade hitting those innocent little loveable creatures just seems heartless. No doubt there will be hornet huggers out in your yard next summer. If I were you I would let them hug all of them. (does make you wonder where all the hornet huggers are)

Deereman,

With the vac, do you suggest bagless or the bag type? Just find it confussing listening to those vac infomercials. I gather the hand held model is not the one you suggest.

After you vacuumed them, when you turned off the vac, did they not fly back out? It would seem they could with my shop vac. It sure is open to. But it is also make to blow. What a dumb idea too. You suck dust in the hose and then use that hose to blow to clean something?

kt

Hornet help

View my Photos
Deereman

2005-12-29          121857

Kt,

Just use a bagless shopvac. I've eliminated a half a dozen nests this way. Actually you can be crouched down next to the hole and hold the hose, as they are flying in and out, you just suck them up. Or just lay the hose next to the hole, and within a couple of hours....you have them all! I use a big 20gal shop vac(clean filter for max suction,very important:)~ anyways, most of them are dead, in shock, or very dis-orentated. Probably from the terminal velocity they reach in the hose, just before they hit the baffle. I dump them in the fire pit. You could suck up some "Sevin", tape off the hose, and let set a few days, I guess. ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-03-01          125382

Deereman
Hear that???????
Thats my knees shaking! Crouch next to a nest with a vibrating shop vac? LOL From what I read, vibrations in the nest is the number one thing that makes them get aggresive. I had all I could do to walk up to within 3 feet of the nest at night! Yes I am a pansy!

KWSCHUMM
Baiting and trapping? I had planned to make a massive attempt this spring on these lines. What your detailed suggestions? I see plenty of the hornet traps but what is baiting? (Baiting may increase CWD ya know? ) Inside joke you need to be from Wi. to know what I am saying)
What do you "bait with" and how? Thanks

BTW
I have new neighbors to the south of me this last year
and they done some massive clean up all year in their back yard. The last guy was a friggin pack rat and I wonder if all the cleaning up of debri had something to do with my
""New Found Friends" making my yard a massive breeding ground. Remember I had never had a ground nest in the 8 years prior in my yard down here? ....

Hornet help

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-03-02          125396

Could you have ground hornets there recently due to having cut trees who's stumps have rotted out giving holes for the hornets?

That is where I had them at my yard.

As to the vacumm cleaner, I have no doubt that would work but I am like you. May I suggest you don't have it on, push the hose to the mouth of the nest, RUN and then plug it in.
kt

Hornet help

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-03-03          125520

Yep,,, thats the way I would do it! lol
I had one nest in a gopher hole and one nest in a hole where I removed a post (green T post) and one nest in my bacd shed (this one was pretty good size also, about 1 foot by 1 foot. At each of these locations I could sit and count well over 20 coming in and twenty going out every 60 seconds. Sometime when it was really hot outside I could not keep up with the count. Oh well, I have a few months left till I need to think about the again ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login