Go Bottom

Intel Bashing

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77406

This post was spawned by a topic in the chinese tractors area.

Intel justifies sending jobs overseas by complaining that their product development costs are too high. The REASON their costs are too high is NOT that people are paid too much, it's because THEY DON'T HAVE A CLUE HOW TO DEVELOP A PRODUCT!

Intel can't develop any consumer product without staffing a department of 100 people. That's just plain nuts. So, instead of reworking HOW they develop products they just move the 100 person department to India and hire more people just to translate!

They should pull a page from IBMs book (when they were successful) and realize that small, dedicated teams can do far better than big, cumbersome, bureaucratic organizations. Heck, IBM spun off a small team of, what, a dozen people to develop the original IBM PC.

Case in point. The last product I helped developed was a high end hand-held laser joulemeter that sells for $25k+. This was developed by an engineering team of FOUR people. One EE, one ME, one SW guy (me), and one guy to put it all together. What the heck would we have done with a department of 200 people? Yeesh, it's NOT THAT HARD.

I hate bureaucracies.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Intel Bashing

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-02-20          77417

EXCELLENT rant Ken! ;o) I think that post would make an outstand letter to the editor in a major newpaper op/ed page! Here Here! ....

Intel Bashing

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-20          77425

Thanks Chief! This is a major hot-button issue with me. Companies are so inefficient these days, and instead of changing the way they do business they ship all the jobs overseas. The stupidity of management knows no bounds.

I have this coffee-room theory of how to get rid of dead weight in any organization. Put a camera in the coffee room and watch people as they get their coffee. Those who are willing to make a new batch of coffee when the pot is emptied are the ones who carry the load and you keep them. Those who empty the pot and don't start a new one are dead weight and they get laid off. Simple :) ....

Intel Bashing

View my Photos
dsg

2004-02-20          77426

Ken, you are right on target with that last statment! Of course, IMHO :)

David

Intel Bashing

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-20          77432

Ken, thanks for the compliment about IBM - I have worked there for 25 years. I have seen all sides of this - when IBM was fat with too many employees - and now where we cut people every day and still send jobs to India even when we are profitable. Big companies are like big ships. They turn slowly and then don't stop until they have over corrected - now we can't seem to stop reducing cost. Hopefully the reductions don't affect product quality. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login