Go Bottom

Diesel powered motorcycle

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-10          100160

I thought this was some interesting news. The military wants to have all its vehicles run on the same fuel.

“The motorcycle had to meet strict NATO requirements for all armed forces to operate their entire inventory of vehicles and powered equipment on either diesel fuel or aviation grade kerosene."

Chief has talked before about ordering JD tractors because of a similar fuel requirement.

Link:   Diesel motorcycle

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AV8R
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-10          100163

I saw an newspaper article (in the Milwaukee
Journal/Sentinel I think) which was about a guy who hand-built a Turbo-Diesel V-Twin air cooled motor for in a Harley-type custom cruiser motorcycle.

Heck, I'd buy one of those! (No, I'm not normal.)

Update: Okay, not a turbo, but that sounds interesting tho... ....

Link:   Diesel Harley Fat-Boy

View my Photos
Murf

2004-11-11          100195

Around 1990 I rode a diesel bike that belonged to my then wife's uncle in Finland.

It was an old Kawasaki, that had been re-powered by a 1 litre, 1 cylinder, air-cooled industrial diesel originally from a commercial fishing boat.

To say that it was a unique creation would be an understatement.

The engine had a massive flywhell and ran very slowly. It also had two clutches, one each side of the flywheel. The starter was used to get the flywheel only spinning, then you released the first clutch and that made the motor turn over and start. Then you could use the second clutch to pull away.

The neat part was it had many gears, 12 I believe, that and the two clutches meant you could disengage the flywheel from the engine while riding, let the engine idle, and gather energy by using the flywheel to restrict downhill speed, then use that stored energy to go up the next hill, all the while the engine was at idle, or even off completely.

Because of the cost of fuel over there, it was the equivalent of $12 a gallon even then, there were many such odd creations. They also had lots of electircally powered bicycles.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Woodie
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-15          100380

to shortmagnum-
the link to the diesel motorcycle article worked okay the first time I tried it. I was talking to coworker whos into alsorts of bikes etc and I tried forwarding that to him and we can't get past all of the login/subscribtion stuff. You wouldn't happen to have the article saved that can be emailed, thanks Woodie ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-15          100382

Just Google "diesel Motorcycle" there are a ton of articles. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login