Go Bottom

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
lbrown59
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-01-14          104237

WHAT'S UP WITH THIS?

I was at a Speedway station today.
As I was leaving I thought I would drive by the pump and see what their price was for diesel.
Got to the pump and the sign said
Number 1 Kerosene.

Undyed - untaxed
Off Road use only

The price dial on the pump read $2.50 for A gallon. To the right of this was a sticker stating tax will be added.
The funny thing is I had a 5 gal can I had just filled with diesel at BP for $2.05 a gallon, tax included
Another thing I don't get about Speedway is the pump with the Kerosene sign on it today is the same pump that I got diesel out of back in Sept.

Seems to me Speedway is selling the same product as BP for around $3.00 per gallon by the time you add tax.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-15          104258

Yeah, there are stations like that. About 6-7 miles from my house is an interstate offramp. On the north side is a BP station with a McD's. Their gas is consistently $.10 - $.20 a gallon more than the two stations on the south side of the highway. The BP has the biggest sign.

They have enough highway traffic that it can support the premium pricing. Basically screwing the non-locals that don't know any better.

Wife an I get a kick out of going past it and seeing how much higher their fuel is. ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-15          104260

Iowafun
============
The thing about Speedway that puzzles me is their price was 2.50 per gal plus tax which would make their price about $3.00 a gallon.
I had just came from a BP station where I had just filled my 5 gallon can for $2.05 per gallon.
Speedway was 95 cents a gallon higher than BP; just the opposite of what you're saying about BP in your area.
>------->>What really stumps me is the sign on the pump at Speedway said number 1 kerosene.
This is the Same pump that I got Diesel from back in September.

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
beagle
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-15          104277

Kerosene is generally more expensive than diesel. Many stations switch pumps over to kerosene in the winter or very cold weather for heating purposes. Kerosene generally runs about $.50/gal higher than diesel.

I'm not disagreeimg that many stations take advantage of their locations. Happens all the time around here. ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
lbrown59

2005-01-15          104279

Many stations switch pumps over to kerosene in the winter or very cold weather for heating purposes. Kerosene generally runs about $.50/gal higher than diesel.
===============
But look at all that loss of diesel sales.

There hain't no way that station is going to sell anywhere near as many gallons of Kerosene as the gallons of diesel their completion across town is pumping into those 18 wheelers and big ole dump trucks.

While I was there at Speedway the competitor over town probably filled a semi or two with diesel.
Nobody bought any Kerosene at Speedway.

The BP where I paid 205 for diesel is by the interstate exit.
Speedway with the 250 plus tax Kerosene is in a residential area inside the city limits.

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
harvey

2005-01-16          104297

Maybe they should have put Diesel #1 on the pump instead of Kerosene. That would confuse the people that buy Kero for their little space heaters.

The fuel I buy for our road tractors and off road equipment the terms are the same. Only difference, I see when looking at the numbers, is the red dye. I'll have to ask the supplier for new MSDS, centane and cloudpoint paperwork. Mine is 6 years old.

Technially speaking the "new" on road is suspose to be refined differently to remove more of the sulfur. So heating oil and off road should have a higher sulfur content.

We cut our on road #2 at 30-50% with #1 or kerosene, off road is cut at 50-70%. This year we are doing ok with on road at 30% but I do have room for another 4,000 gal of straight kero just in case.

Kerosene/Diesel#1 is just refined a little more to remove more of the waxes which are the problem with jelling during the cold snaps.

Ask the station/supplier for the MSDS, the centane rating and cloudpoint paperwork on the fuel you are buying. ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
earthwrks

2005-01-16          104351

Where I'm at (20 miles SW of Detroit) Diesel and Kero have separate pumps--don't know if it actually legal to sell one in place of the other, especially off-road versus on-road diesel--let alone kerosene v. diesel (diesel isn't kerosene and vice versa, right? I know farmers who interchange them, but no daily-drivers like pickups and even semi tractors) ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
harvey

2005-01-17          104357

I would not swear to anything about labeling anymore. But Kero does come clear and dyed as does diesel.

My bulk tickets call clear kero #1 Diesel on road. And they call the dyed kero #1 fuel oil/diesel off road.

The only catch to the whole process is the low sulfur diesel on road and that only can be cut with clear kero or #1 diesel. Vendors do not like to call on road diesel #2 anymore either.

The big suppliers with stations do cut their fuel with kero it has been standard practice for years. The last thing any big supplier wants during the winter is a bunch of diesel rigs parked along the road gelled up with their fuel.

All that said you can buy straight #2 diesel or fuel oil. Dealers have no problems delivering straight or blending for you on site. Blending just costs a little more. But I do not think or believe you will get straight #2 fuel oil/diesel out of a service station pump anywhere in the North Countries this time of year.

With pumps at stations usually the difference in all the names is the road taxes paid at the pump and the dye. ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
jwngej

2005-01-17          104376

I asked my dealer about offroad for my 2015 Mahindra and he said no problem, use it. At a co-op here it is $2.09.9 for #2 and $160.9 for off road, I asked the delivery man and he said it both are delivered from the same tanker, just one is dyed and the other is not. John ....

WHAT S UP WITH THIS

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-03-18          108272

Yep! Dont want to get caught by the state boys with out that dye. Wis. HAS to make its tax money for road abuse ya know! LOL ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login