Go Bottom

Concern about Synthetics and O-Rings

View my Photos
tomrscott
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-21          104584

I was reading through the applications information in the Weatherhead catalog (one of the larger makers of hydraulic fittings - see links below) and came across this warning. Just curious if it applies to the synthetic oils we've talked about, or are they unrelated?

"Petroleum or Mineral Oil Based Hydraulic Fluids - ... good general purpose fluids ... All Weatherhead fittings and O-rings can be used with these fluids."

"Straight Synthetic Hydraulic Fluids - is a general term applied to such products as Pydraul, Lindol, Cellulubes 90, 150, 180, 220, etc. ... O-rings must be made of "Butyl" compound or they will "swell" when contacted by synthetic fluids."

This latter note clearly excludes the "Buna-N" O-ring material that is in almost all of Weatherhead's fittings, and I believe is the standard material.

If this note applied to the synthetic engine and transmission oils so popular with many, and often used in our hydraulic systems, there would be a real concern with O-ring hydraulic fittings, quick disconnects, and other applications. I believe most of these use Buna-N O-rings.

Are the synthetic engine oils different from the synthetics they are talking about, or should this be a concern?

Link to Eaton Weatherhead catalogs online:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/hose_and_fittings_main.htm#wh202

Link to Steel Fittings section that talks about O-Rings and synthetics:
http://hydraulics.eaton.com/products/pdfs/W-HYOV-MC001-E_steel_fittings.pdf

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-01-21          104609

30 years ago, maybe more, before the dawning of Mobil 1 and Amsoil, synthetic oils were designed to lubricate jet engines at high (cold) altitudes.

Dumbbells brought the stuff home and poured it into the crankcase of the family car. That stuff ate the 'O' rings and gaskets and that is where the story started.

Any oil, synthetics included, has to have several additives mixed in to do all the things it is supposed to do.... including being kind to seals and gaskets.

I think you can rest assured that when a major oil company (like Mobil or Chevron) designs a synthetic oil and says it is safe to use in your engine or in your tractor hydraulic system, that they have done the homework and put in the correct additives. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-21          104611

The other point is that this warning is for HYDRAULIC systems.

The componenets vary widely depending on the application, in some situations, such as food processing areas they actually use things like vegetable or straight mineral oil as a hydraulic fluid. This is in order to meet food quality safety standards which do not allow petroleum products in close proximity in case of a leak or spill.

So to answer your question, no, the synthetics are not any different, the seals are.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
tomrscott

2005-01-21          104663

Murf,

I think you are missing the point. If you re-read the quote from Weatherhead, or better yet, follow the link and read the entire section from them. The point is NOT that "the seals have improved", Weatherhead is specifically warning that the current industry-standard Buna-N seals are not appropriate for use with some synthetics.

I think the question is, are the current crop of synthetics modified in ways that prevent them from harming Buna-N seals?

I am would guess the answer is yes, but thought it was worth asking anyway. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-22          104679

"Straight Synthetic Hydraulic Fluids - is a general term applied to such products as Pydraul, Lindol, Cellulubes 90, 150, 180, 220, etc"

This has to be the key to understanding the warning. You won't find such fluids in the corner auto parts or tractor supply store. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-24          104804

Mark is right, of course, the point I was trying to make was two-fold, but maybe I wasn't clear enough.

First, the compounds which are likely to harm some seals won't be found in something like 'synthetic' engine or transmission fluid, only in specialized hydraulic fluid.

Secondly, the stuff you would buy retail will be tested and proven on 'automotive grade' seals for warranty / liability reasons.

Best of luck.

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-24          104860

"Mark is right, of course...."

I hate being right all the time. Maybe I should try left for a while.

Naaah... ....

View my Photos
Murf

2005-01-25          104880

"I hate being right all the time."

Mark, are you & your wife not on speaking terms anymore? ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-01-25          104883

"She who must be obeyed" and I are doing fine, at least today.

Speaking of right/left stuff..... did you notice that Hollyweird played it smart and passed on nominating Micheal Moore for Best Anything?

Go Top

Share This

Member Login