Go Bottom

JD 790 oil change question

View my Photos
tracer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-05-22          111354

Greetings all,
I just changed the oil again at 160 hrs and I swear I only put three and maybe a quarter quarts in and the dipstick says full. I was on level ground and changed the filter before adding oil from a large 3-4 gal bottle of Rotella 15-40. I used an empty quart bottle to measure out(what a mess, now I know why I prefer quart bottles) the 3 plus quarts. I ran the engine, no leaks, and then pulled the dipstick, pushed it all the way back in and it says Full. The manual says 4 and one half to five. Am I measuring wrong by inserting the dipstick all the way back in or should I just insert until it hits the rubber gasket/plug which secures the dipstick in the engine? I also ran a half quart through the engine while it was draining untill I got clear oil coming from the drain plug. While I am on this the manual shows a drain plug on the bottom of the case plate and I have a little yellow screw in plug on the side of the plate/case about an inch up. Is that a part of the design of the Smaller of the two (Thirty) / (TwentyEight) Horsepower reduction engines of the 2002 790 series?
Thanks in advance for any advice/comments.
Tracer

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-22          111359

It is confusing as hell. Near as I can tell, nobody with a green tractor on this board has a dipstick that agrees with the numbers quoted in the owners manual.

Since overfilling is a bad thing too, and the dealer who prepped both of mine filled them to the dipstick, that what I have chosen to do. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-05-22          111362

Tracer,

The manual for both high & low serial # 790 says 4.3 qts. with filter change. Deere is notorious for misprints. I an like Mark and would be inclined to go with the proper level on the dipstick.

The one thing I did remember noticing about my first oil change on my 4410 was that the Deere oil filter was a good bit smaller than the OEM Yanmar filter that came on the engine new. Perhaps this may account for the discrepancy. Just a speculation on my part.

With respect to spilling oil from the large 5 gallon pails........ this IS the ONLY way to fly!

It costs $34.99 and it IS worth EVERY penny. My dealer gave me one and it is very easy to use as well as very good about not spilling oil. It has a one way check valve in the spout at the end of the hose. I have tried several and this one IS the BEST. It also uses the spout opening on the top of the pail so you don't have to remove the lid from the 5 gallon pail risking spilling the entire pail. you know how Murphy's Law works? ;o)

Link:   John Deere 5 gallon pail pump

View my Photos
tracer

2005-05-22          111379

Greetings again and thanks for the replies.
Still do not know if I am using the dipstick correctly by inserting all the way in but as overfilling is a definite bad thing ie worse than underfilling by 20% I will go with that and keep changing the oil so it always looks like Honey and using the Black Deere expensive filter until it dies.
All I know is I love my Little Tractor and want a bigger one with a Backhoe and 20 more ponies. Sigh. I can dream cant I? Thanks for the help Gentlemen. I do appreciate the input.
Sincerely
Tracer ....

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2005-06-01          111843

Are you sure it wasnt a liter bottle you were using and not a quart container? ....

View my Photos
tracer

2005-06-02          111857

thanks for the thought but no it was a quart bottle. I am leaning towords the method of messure. If I just insert dipstick to rubber stop it reads about midway but without being sure I will just go with it like it is and monitor closely. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login