Go Bottom

Synthetic Grease with Moly

View my Photos
Roger Mulkey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-12-27          11527

Anybody have this problem with grease or have a better recommendation. I finally got tired of having 5 grease guns around to service different equipment (GM, Ford, MerCruiser, Boat Trailer, Commercial mower, and now Kubota Tractor). I reviewed the NLGI web site to make sure the synthetic NLGI GC-LB rating was a superset of the other MP greases. Their site was not very clear about the Moly additive. My understanding is NLGA #2 GC-LB/moly grease should work in everything. I plan to switch over all my vehicles to Synthetic Grease so I can buy a case of grease and get rid of the 'wall of guns"... I am leaning toward Valvoline SynPower Synthetic grease (Moly-fortified) at about $4 per 14oz tube. No brand preference, it's easy to get... My quuestion is will the fact that the grease contains Moly be a problem for applications that do not specify Moly?

Link:   

Click Here

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Roger L.

1999-12-28          11534

Rog, it may be too soon to throw away all of the grease guns. You probably noticed that the greases are still split between chassis type and wheel-bearing types. The argument is interesting, and unlike te motor oil debate, it may actually get a solution since it is much easier to test single chassis joints and bearings than complete engines. Less variables.
Basically, here is how the argument stacks up: Almost nobody denies that the moly greases are better for reducing pure sliding friction. So you can throw away all of your chassis guns in favor of one moly lube.
The question revolves around using moly in wheel and roller bearings. These are not sliding devices. Ball bearings rely on a certain amount of friction to allow the balls and rollers to rotate. People on this side of the argument say that you want those balls and rollers to rotate - not slide - around the wall of the bearing housing.
How much difference does it actually make? Remember that lubrication is created when something that is moving makes a dynamic "wedge" of oil and then climbs up on that wedge. So is it a consideration that wheel bearings in a tractor turn unusually slowly with correspondingly high point loads?
For my cars and trucks I use moly in the chassis and regular old fiberous wheel bearing grease where it might get into the wheel bearings. For the tractor I use non-moly waterproof grease (very sparingly) in everything because it that is good enough and much less messy than the moly grease.....Roger L.

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-12-28          11535

Roger,
We've been using Moly fortified synthetic grease in everything for years with nothing but "great" results. If this post is anything like the oil post, you'll have every version of Bible posted here. Therefore I can only give my experience, which has nothing to do with tests or facts. Having been in the oil Reclaimation business, the gear pumps on our trucks routinely required 6-10 pumps of grease (per unit) every morning. Bearing & gear failure was also predictable (12-18 months between rebuilds). Depending upon what kind of oil we picked up. IMHO, pump failures were caused by sparatic illegal contamination / mixing of Parts cleaner solvents in the oil we pumped. What ever the true reason man be, switching to XYZ brand synthetic moly fortified grease improved pump life by a factor of 2 in every truck. Rebuilds were now being done out of routine(24 Months),instead of crisis management, which naturally happened at the worst possible time or location. OH, almost forgot to mention, grease consumption reduced to 2-3 pumps per unit and the pump manu'f didn't recommend or mention the use of either sythetic or moly fortified products. ....

View my Photos
bo

1999-12-28          11537

Mike-Roger--I bow to greater wisdom--never thought about grease much. Use bearing grease on bearings and chassis grease on all other, except on boat where I use marine grease, what ever the heck is in it. Stupid question time--Every now and then I think about it but don't lose sleep-----Where the heck does old grease go to that needs to be replaced? Does it get slung out, not likely cause there would be a mess. Evaporation? Hard to beleive. Used up, how? bo ....

View my Photos
Mario DeBartolo

1999-12-28          11538

Hi All

I see another great thread forming.

Bo, The chart is for you.

mario ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
bo

1999-12-28          11541

Mario--do my eyes deceive me? Bill, where are you? Mario,da man! ....

View my Photos
Wild Bill

1999-12-28          11551

Now Boys, Mario's got so splainen ta do. There are several different base stocks for synthetic oil. One is silicone, I think. Anyway, I am sure there are some learned posters out there who will be able to run them off, without me going into my books. These types, that cannot be mixed with Dino oil are not any good IMHO. The only one good which I have found is one made by Molecular alteration of CRUDE DINO OIL. So from this little tiny bit of information Mario posted, you cannot infer anything. Gotta tell me more. what brand of Dino, addative package( they vary within a manufactures line ) the brand and base stock type of the synthetic, and the package in it as well. Not all Dino or Synthetics are created equal, and depending on who did the testing, and how they wanted it slanted (independent or corporate BS) all makes a differance to a Graph. This graph seems to show that this Prolong works, but does it? Anybody's guess. Maybe we should send the stuff to Consumer's Reports. At least we should get a fair shake, there, on analysis of this stuff. And more complete info. Then I will debate anybody on this. Anyway, what in blazes does this have to do with this subject. I think somebody is tryin to get somebody's drawers in a bunch. As far as the grease issue, I agree with MLS. When it goes in water, I agree with Bo, with the marine (just for the fact that it won't wash out). Now if somebody makes a Moly Marine (catchy huh), I'll buy that. Bill ....

View my Photos
Mario DeBartolo

1999-12-28          11565

Hi All

Bill, the chart was for BO. Anyway, I must say that I screwed up. I ment to post it on the plastic vs dino thread. Did that once I found out I messed up. The Base oils were Mobil 1 and the other Mobil syn. oil so many of us tractor folks know and love. The Dino was good old Eastern USA Kendal GT turbo. It kicks ass! I wittnessed several Formula One teams using the same stuff in there .5 million dollar engines. Not the back up car.

Take the chart for what it is. I hope you learn something from it. I did. Plastic oils are not as good in extreem pressure conditions. They are better at other things.

Consumers report, give us a break. They would probably say that compact tractors as unsafe at any speed. Oh ya, the taxi cab study. What a joke. They are good a one thing and one thing only (repair records).

Happy newyear to all.

View my Photos
bo

1999-12-28          11566

Wild Bill---You ain't gonna get me started on that oil thing again. But I sure appreciate it if one the bright people on this board would think that there is no such thing as a dumb question {I personally think that there are dumb questions but generally am polite} and answer my dumb question where does the old grease go if it don't get slung or washed or evaporated out of greasable areas. See that you got your britches unbunched. Like your sense of humor.bo ....

View my Photos
Wild Bill

1999-12-29          11598

Well Bo, I wasn't tryin to ruffle your feathers, and glad to see your britches aren't in a bunch any more too. As to your question about where does grease go, I dunno either, but I do see what is left coming outta the weep hole when I pump in the new stuff. Seems to be a degraded version of it's former self. Where is the rest? I imagine you loose some to leakage, evaporation (you ever see really old grease that was left open? kinda looks like it is drying up, at least some of it that I've seen. Must be some lower boiling point products in them.) Somebody knows, but that ain't me. For all I know there is a grease fairy, but he's to cheep to leave the dollar like the tooth fairy does. In so far as the chart of Mr. Andretti's, I guess I won't be buying Mobil one. Course I won't use the gear oil in the crank case either. I would hope my synthetic fairs better. Like I said, not all is created equal. But that is for the other thread. Hope someone has some other input on bo's question. By the way Bo, the only stupid question, is the one that isn't asked. If you don't know something and remain ignorant about it, that is ultimately the only stupid thing you could do. Not everyone knows as much as more learned people, and it is always nice for those people to share their knowledge. Doesn't have to be a teacher either, just be able to get it accross intelligibly with reasonable accuracy. Most of the time people are very grateful. Happy New Year to all. Bill ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login