Go Bottom

Winter Gasoline Vs Summer Gasoline

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-18          118109

Did you know there is a difference? I didn't, until a couple of weeks ago. The wife just bought 15,000 gallons of summer gas (for testing gas engines through the winter) at a price of $5.564 per gallon.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
StephenR
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-18          118112

I know I get worse mileage in the winter than summer. It's due to the environazies.
15,000 gals? That's some SUV. I think she paid too much too. Around here gas is back down to about $2.50 a gallon. ....

View my Photos
jimbrown
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-10-18          118116

Yes Winter blends normally contain more alchol that summer blends probably some other additives also ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-10-18          118119

So Billy, I have to ask. What does your wife do that she needs 15K gallons of gas? I assume she's not just doing it for fun.
Dave ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2005-10-18          118120

Winter gas has additives (MTBE?) to control adverse emissions created when starting very cold engines.

I bet Peters could give us the straight scoop. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-10-18          118124

Purchasing agent for White Consolidated, DeQueen AR devision. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-10-18          118126

I don't know, Mark but one guy at a refinery told her winter gas was cheaper to make but they were already into the winter blend. Maybe that's one of the reason gas goes down in the cooler months? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2005-10-18          118140

Winter gas is a little hotter blend for better cold weather starting. ....

View my Photos
Iowafun

2005-10-19          118160

It may also differ based on where the winter gas is intended to be sold. The EPA has mandated special gas blends in many metro areas to cut down on smog and pollution. It's typically worse in winter with higher incidents of weather inversions trapping the "bad stuff" down low to the ground. Or it to cut back the CO emmisions? I can't rememebr.

Anyway, I know many metro areas are subject to this change for special winter blends. Milwaukee is one area I know has that designation. Many engines blew up that first winter it was mandated. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2005-10-19          118162

If winter is bad for the Ozone Warnings (ie pollution inversions), why do they only have them on the hot humid summer days in SE Wisconsin (Milwaukee-Chicago hell hole)? ....

View my Photos
Billy

2005-10-19          118172

The best I can tell, the reason the price is so high is summer fuel is out of production. That and whoever the supplier is will have to blend, store and ship as needed. 15,000 gallons of gas is about like you filling up your lawn mower, to them.

Enough of that though. The reason of my post was just to relate that there is a difference between summer and winter gas. Something I didn't know.

By the way, summer blend went for $4.05 per gallon last year. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login