Go Bottom

John Deere HyGard vs Other brand oils

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-10-19          118167

Well it is that time again and I need to perform the 200 hour service on my 4410. I knew that oil prices in general had probably gone up a good bit since the 50 hour break-in service but for Pete Sakes!!!!! $49 for a 5 gallon pale of Hy-Gard Low Viscosity????? My ankles have black and blue marks on them from those prices. Last time I used Hy-Gard standard viscosity and I paid about $6 a gallon. Hy-Gard is manufactured for John Deere by Chevron so I don't think there is anything magic about Hy-Gard.

I looked at some Pennzoil Hydra-Tranz oil in the 5 gallon pale for $25.95 which meets John Deere's J20D spec. but with shipping coming to $39 it was not a very good deal.

I remembered that we still have some logging operations going on over on one of our tracts of land so I called the logging operation owner and he sold me 2 5 gallon pales of Shell Donax TD for $60 which is what he told me he paid for it.

http://www.shell-lubricants.com/products/product_details.php?code=53004

I will follow up with how well it performs after I have used it for a few hours.

I just cannot see paying that much for trans. oil. Thought I would pass along this info. for other who may be considering the purchase of oils for doing their own tractor service.

Link:   Pennzoil Hydra Tranz 5 gallon

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Go Top

Share This

Member Login