Go Bottom

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-01          130197

Now that truck oil changes have increased from 6 qts to 15 qts it seems that it would be nice to buy a 30 gallon barrel of it to have on hand. 30 gallons would last me about two years, less if I use it in the 90 or so other cylinders I have to keep lubed. Plus it would save having to throw away hundreds of plastic quart bottles. From reading posts over the past 2-3 years I can only remember Chief talking about buying it that way.

Where can I buy it in bulk? And (dare I ask it?) what brand do you recommend?
Dave

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-06-01          130199

I'll start the ball rolling....... ....

Link:   

Click Here

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-01          130200

Also.... check the prices at the "yellow" Deere dealers.

The prices are sometimes better there when compared to the low-volume Ag dealers. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-01          130203

I would suggest looking in the phone book under lubricants or bulk lubricants. Where I work every fluid we use is delivered in bulk. From antifreeze to 80w 90 and every thing in between. We even get it dyed different colors. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
oneace

2006-06-01          130204

Forgot to say that we get all Castrol fluids. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-01          130215

I purchased a 55 gallon drum of John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 a few years back and have used most of it up. Most dealers will not order the 30 gallon drums because they are expensive to ship for the amount of oil you get. The 55 gallon drums are more cost effective. I paid about $1.38 a quart for the 55 gallon drum I purchased. The John Deere oil is made mostly by Chevron for John Deere but there are a few other manufactures they buy from occasionally. I believe that Rural King sells Shell Rotella T by the 55 gallon drum which is also very good oil. You can also look up your local petroleum distributor and buy it from them and you can buy a batch of off road ag diesel while you are at it.

I use the John Deere 15W-40 Plus 50 in my Cummins pickup, the 4410, the Honda Foreman 500, and the Honda Recon 250. I also used it in the Sea Ray and Nissan while I had them as well. Had very good experience with it. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Billy

2006-06-01          130223

I think oneace is giving you the best answer. Also check Sam's Club. The last time I was there, they had Rotella in the 55 gallon drums. Other than Sam's, the cheapest I've found, would be Wally World. Check out the case price of the 2.5 gallon jugs.

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Murf

2006-06-01          130226

Also check with the company you, or most of your neighbours, buy furnace oil from.

Most home heating oil companies are also distributors for the whole line of fuels and lubricants. Also, most home heating companies have a truck with a lift gate for delivering furnaces, tamnks, etc., and will bring the barrel of oil to you for little or no money while they are in the area doing something else.

Best of luck. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-06-01          130239

Some suppliers have a drum deposit and some don't. The last Chevron I used had a deposit and the last Deere drum I used did not, you keep the empty drum. Just as a convenience factor I've went to the 2 1/2 gal. jugs. Far as brand is concerned the ones I've mentioned gave me good service for a long time so I'll stick with them. Frank. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-01          130246

Randy.... does your Honda have a common sump for the transmission and the engine? ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-01          130250

Yes it does. I asked the guys at the Honda dealer and they said as long as the oil did not have any additives like moly sulfide or graphite, it was OK to use. They recommended motorcylce oil but I have my doubts about how much difference there is between motorcycle oil and and this. If anything, the Deere oil far exceeds the Honda requirements. I am open to any input here, learn something new everyday. ;O) ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
greg_g

2006-06-01          130256

Rural King has Rotella 15W40 for $400, 30W for $320. They have CitGo in 55 gal drums as well, but I don't know if it's diesel rated. They also sell antifreeze, windshield solvent, and hydraulic fluid in 55 gal drums.

//greg// ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2006-06-02          130268

I thought I heard one of the ways oil degrades was to be exposed to alot of air. If that is true, you'll have to help me there, then if you don't use that oil in a relatively short time, it might be better to use smaller comsumable packaging.

The chemists/engineers on TP should have some comment on that.

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-02          130278

"Yes it does. I asked the guys at the Honda dealer and they said as long as the oil did not have any additives like moly sulfide or graphite, it was OK to use. They recommended motorcylce oil but I have my doubts about how much difference there is between motorcycle oil and and this."

The motorcycle forums discuss oil as much or more than this one does. And fight about it just as much too. :) The moly additives can raise havoc in the wet clutch of most motorcycles. In most cases when people have felt their clutch slipping it was fixed by changing back to an oil with little or no moly additives. We've learned to stay away from oils that are labeled "energy conserving." I don't know how the Honda ATV transmissions/clutches work, but if they have metal clutch plates like a hand clutch, then they will have trouble with these additives.

The other reason you might watch which oil you use in your ATV is that it MAY require a higher base viscosity than the engine to lube the transmission. I've never had an engineer verify this so it's only a theory at this point. Honda recommends 10w-40 or 15w-40 for my motorcycle. I don't know of any manufacturer who recommends 5w-40 or 0w-30.
Dave ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-02          130279

Thanks for the follow up Shortmagnum. I plan on using the Deere15W-40 Plus 50 in both Honda's. To my knowledge, none of these additives are in the Deere oil. I didn't think anyone was adding graphite or moly sufide to oil anymore. Below is a link to all of the Deere poop and propaganda on their oil. My thinking is that their are not but a hand full of oil refiners and they cannot refine it custom order to everyone unless they are very large consumers of a particular oil. ....

Link:   Plus-50® 15W40 Synthetic Blend Engine Oil

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-02          130282

I have read that the the "energy conserving" faction of energy conserving oil is Moly.

That is why E/C oil isn't so good for your motorcycle or 4 wheeler.

I also read where folks have been using Rotella Syn and other heavier rated diesel oils in their common sumps with good success.

After a bit more break-in time, I think I will go with Mobil 1 motorcycle oil and then see how that works. It has all the right numbers and letters on the label. ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-02          130285

Here is Honda's equivalent oil. It is rated SG/SF rated. I cannot imagine that it is much if any different than the Deere oil. ....

Link:   Pro-Honda HP4 10W40

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
Chief

2006-06-02          130286

Almost forgot! At $6.59 per quart; I think I will take my chances on the Rotella or Deere 15W-40! ....

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
DRankin

2006-06-02          130288

Randy, I think you are in safe territory.

I notice Honda touts the heat resistance of their oil. That is less of a concern for me because my Rincon is liquid cooled.

BTW, I bought 24 qts of Deere Plus-50 full synthetic from the local big yellow Deere dealer. It came in about the same price as Mobil 1 at Costco.

Also got the best price I have seen on HyGard. I asked the counter guy why it is so much more expensive at the green Deere dealer down the street.

The answer: He said they buy it from us.

Diesel oil by the drum

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2006-06-02          130292

Mark,
Yes, there was a time when having additional heat resistance was probably good for air cooled engines. With liquid cooling in most everything now (sorry Harley) they operate in the same temperature range as auto engines.

I used Honda oil in my new bike the first couple of changes. Then I switched to Mobil 1. Everything seems to work more smoothly with the synthetic.
Dave ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login