Go Bottom

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
jerryc101
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-09-24          135417

I am researching a method to refine old motor oil into diesel. i read an article that was used in the WW2. You take old motor oil, strain out all chunks, run it through several filters of differents sizes then through a metal collector, and water block filter and add 50/50% new diesel and mix throughly.
what do you all think????????????

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-24          135424

I think if you've got a lot of WW2 diesel engines to put it in, go for it !! But realistically, I think you would stand a significant risk of fouling 21st century fuel injectors.

//greg// ....

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-09-24          135429

If you filter the oil well enough it is near new oil. We would by remanufactured oil from Shell oe Esso for engines dumped in salt water. They took waste oil from engines and filtered it. ....

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
earthwrks

2006-09-24          135438

Are you talking about distilling perhaps? I have to think that to filter that kind liquid---one that is is full of contaminates wouldn't be feasible let alone economical to produce on a small scale. The filter media alone would have to be expensive---then there's the question of where does the hazardous material go from the filtering process---and what that will cost.

If producing your own fuel is what you want to do, I'd look into processing vegetable/animal/peanut frying oil in 50 gallon batches. I've seen turn-key systems in some of the diesel magazines (somewhere around $3000).

I've been seeing on the net and in print that gasoline may go down to $1.15 soon. Diesel here on the Gulf Coast is $2.45--down from $3.10 weeks ago---a year ago $4.10. ....

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-09-25          135450

A friend of mine burns a mixture you describe in kind of a crude oil burning shop heater. It solves his disposal problem and saves him a bit on the heat bill. I don't think it is worth the risk of messing up an injector pump or the injectors, they just cost too much to take the chance. Best of luck. Frank. ....

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
Chief

2006-09-25          135455

As long as the oil has been filtered and it is strictly oil with no other chemicals dumped in with it, you can just mix it in with your regular diesel. I believe Cummins recommends no more than 5%. ....

old motor oil to diesel

View my Photos
jerryc101

2006-09-27          135492

I have decided to forget that ideal. It seems that there is too many problems for it to be vieable. I will keep attempting to find veggie oil. Would be OK if i could find a couple of schools to get oil from.

ThanX for all the help...
Jerry ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login