Go Bottom

JD4100 Smoking Cessation Program

View my Photos
Larry in MI.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-15          13779

Late last fall or early winter my JD4100 began to bellow grey smoke when it was cold. As the temps fell the problem got worse. I called the dealership and the said this was normal, I checked the glow plugs and purchased fuel from various sources. The problem continued. The weather is much warmer now and the problem continues. I went to the dealership and announced that the problem was such that it would cause the EPA concern and it looks like the barn is on fire when I start it. The dealership seemed to understand this description and picked up the tractor today. I will keep you posted on the results. I hope all goes well. Has anyone else had this problem with the JD4100???

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Jim Youtz

2000-03-15          13784

I read a similar post awhile back, either on this board or tractorbynet.com (can't remember). Turns out that an ignition wire or some wiring to a glowplug had broken (forgot what the problem was-not really very knowledgeable about diesels). It was very simple to fix. You might try a search of both boards to find out more. ....

View my Photos
Bill

2000-03-19          13925

Larry, Does the problem cease when the engine warms? If so the last response was correct. There was a thread here that described a fix. Worth the read. But they also had the complaint of having a missing cylander, if I am not mistaken. There also was another thread, albeit under New Holland, where I ended up describing a problem I had. Seems that New Holland has what tehy call a smoke screw. It is basically the fuel richness screw. Mine was smoking slightly all the time, and when you got into the thick of things she got black. Backed off a little on that screw, and voila, no more smoke, not even when she is working hard. You don't say how old the unit is. Maybe something was stuck from being new, and finaaly broke free, making the adjustment incorrect. Good luck, hope you fix yours in a shorter time than what my problem took. (the above was a simplified version, that got to the point much quicker) GOOD LUCK!! Bill ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-20          13969

Thanks for the responses. The problem does go away when the engine warms up for about 2 minutes. The tractor is new, 76 hours and still under warranty. So far the dealership has had the tractor for almost a week and it is still sitting in the same spot in their parking lot. Prior to calling the dealership I checked the voltage to all three glow plugs and they all read 12 v. I suspect it is probably a bad glow plug. I'll keep you posted when and if the dealership ever fixes the problem. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-23          14099

Well I finally got the call from the dealer today. The service rep. tried the usaul bad fuel, fuel conditioner added helped a lot routine. I don't think so! The first call was early in the day and the second call from the service rep. said they had actually checked the glow plugs and they were o.k. Unfortunately the injectors were not o.k. and all three of them need to be replaced. I asked what could cause this problem becaue I really don't want to go through this again expecially after the warranty expires. I was advised that the injectors were probably defective from the beginning. Sadly the parts may not be available for a few days due to a factory backlog. At least the dealer did find and admit to the problem. I am not trying to cause a panic but if your JD4100 starts smoking excessively upon startup and the dealer tells you that is normal, you may want to revisit the issue with the dealer prior to warranty expiration. It is time to plant peas and onions here. Maybe the neighbor will loan me his tractor. ....

View my Photos
Bill

2000-03-25          14152

Larry, Did the engine exhibit any fuel knock? Did it get noisier with the increase in smoke, is what I mean. If you are not using a fuel conditioner which helps stabilize the fuel, I would start. This new, extremly expensive lately, stuff only lasts for a month or so, before it starts to degrade and start forming larger , unburanable molecules. That will surely screw things up in the old injector system. Maybe was a fuel injector problem from the beginning, just this can cause problems too. Damn oil companies, cheeper, faster, degrades more, but also costs more at the pump. PRI D works quite well for stabilizing fuel. It's on the net. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-03-25          14159

Bill, I didn't notice any fuel knock but i'm not certain I would know what it sounds like in a diesel engine. When I get the tractor back from the dealer I will try some fuel conditioner. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login