Go Bottom

JD4100 Smoking problem returned

View my Photos
Larry in MI.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-03-29          14287

My JD4100 began to smoke excessively. The smoke was grey/blue and lasted for about 2 min. after a cold start. The dealer finally picked it up for a warranty repair after 2 telephone calls and a personal visit. The unit was stored in the dealers lot for just over 1 week before they ever looked at it. After several stressful telephone conversations they finally determined that all 3 injectors were bad. The tractor was at the dealership for another week waiting for parts. New parts are on back order so my rebuilt injectors are back in the tractor. I don't want rebuilt parts in my tractor that is still under warranty. The jury is still out about whether the problem was corrected because it requires a cold start for the problem to surface. My dealer is a known liar based on other documented exchanges. The whole point of this post is to alert others that the cheapest price at purchase time may not be the cheapest price in the long run. Know the dealers reputation before you spend your money. Keep in mind that a large dealer may not be the best way to go. My next tractor certainly will not be purchased at D&G Equipment and it may not be green.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
bestoldman

2000-03-31          14330

Larry,
Does your tractor start hard, if not I would suggest that it may have slow timing. After you first start it after about a minute at full throttle does the engine sound like it pops/misses, if so it is slow timing. Reply back to me if that helps you with your problem Bestoldman. ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-04-01          14355

Actually the tractor starts fine it just acts like it is flooded for a breif period of time. After warm up it runs just fine and has plenty of power. A cold start after it was returned from the dealer produced some blue/grey smoke but not nearly as much as before. Still, the idle and top speed do not seem to be nearly as smooth as before. I strongly suspect a NEW set of injectors would cure the problem. ....

View my Photos
bestoldman

2000-04-03          14423

JD 4100 Smoking Problem From bestoldman
Are you running onroad or offroad fuel?
How did your engine react after a cold startup? Did you have any missing or popping at high RPM? Did your dealer check crack pressure on the nozzles? I'm asking all these questions out of thee blind. I need a complete description of how the tractor runs after on minute warm up time at full throttle. Does your tractor smoke for more than one minute? If not depending on outside temperature at idle it will smoke white for several minutes. Most of the time you can eliminate this problem by bringing the idle Rpm up to about 12 to 1300RPM. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login