Go Bottom

Kubota B2910 Fuel system tank hoses

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-11          146807

One of three plastic nozzles near the top of the diesel tank broke off. All three nozzles PUSH fuel back in to the tank. I have no idea why. I can close off the hose and it runs fine - but will it hurt anything? The hose is connected to the #1 cylinder injector. Another of the 3 plastc nozzels comes from the #4 cylinder injector. The third one appears to come from the fuel pump. CAN I JUST CAP IT? DO I NEED TO TIE IT IN TO ONE OF THE OTHER HOSES?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146809

Not a diesel mechanic here, but I do know that the fuel system does recirculate.

I would think that you should at least give it somewhere to go, as in "T" it into another return line until you can consult someone with some letters after their name. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-10-11          146814

It is indeed the return line for the excess flow of diesel fuel to the injectors.

If you don't understand diesel principles, here's the basics in a nutshell.

The injection pump gives a blast of pressurized fuel to each injector at the proper time, the injector in turn has two main roles, one is to turn the blast into a super fine mist of atomized fuel, the other (and the reason for the second line) is to very accurately meter the amount of fuel and timing, it does this by having a spring loaded valve in it, the valve opens at a set pressure, and closes when the fuel pressure drops below that set point also.

Since the injector sets the amount of fuel that can ultimately pass it, the pump must deliver a slight surplus in order to ensure that the proper mixture of fuel and air is achieved. The excess just goes along the line you are referring to and back into the fuel tank.

This is why the newer injection systems which use both a separate source of pressure to the injector (usually pressurized engine oil) and an electronic timing system are more efficient, rather than merely relying on a rise and fall of pressure in the fuel system, there is far less lag and variance in the newer systems.

To answer your question after all that, I would need to see your setup to say for sure, I'm not familiar with the B-series, but I would say generally speaking, if you capped the broken fitting somehow and worked a T or something in to let the fuel out of that hose it should be fine. If you just cap the line it will eventually develop enough pressure to blow the cap off or at least leak. After all you cannot compress a liquid!

Best of luck.

(from someone with a bunch (of absolutely) unrelated letters after their name)..... ;) ....

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-10-12          146861

Now that makes sense. I really appreciate you all taking the time to answer. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2007-10-12          146862

Happy to be of assistance.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login