Go Bottom

Where did that Hydraulic fluid go

View my Photos
Eric Edwards
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-08          17053

Where would Hyd fluid typically go if you were down 3.5 Gallons out 5.5. On checking out a recent used tractor purchase I found that I had to add this amount to bring the level up to a minimum amt.. I thought I checked it at the dealers but must have erred by not wiping the stick. Anyways, I'm a little concerned in that the rest of the tractor looks maintained with hrs written on every filter at time of change. The hyd filter was changed at 180 hrs. yet total hrs elapsed are only 240. What should I look for besides obvious leaks? Should I be concerned?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-09          17058

Guess the tractor was reasonably level when the oil was checked. With the level down that far and that few hours, you'd expect a major leak, which should be visible somewhere. I don't know enough about hydraulic systems to absolutely exclude the possibility of hydraulic oil going into the engine crankcase, but it doesn't seem likely.

Changing a hydraulic filter at 180 hours seems unusual; a little late for the initial break-in change and a little early for a standard maintenance interval. I suppose there could have been a problem where the case had to be drained, and it wasn't properly re-filled.

If everything seems to be working, one approach would be to use the tractor and closely monitor the oil level.

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-06-09          17060

Eric, you didn't say what that tractor is, but I do know a neighbor with a big old Oliver had a similar problem with the hydraulic oil getting past a seal into the transmission. ....

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-09          17066

The tractor is a JD1070 1996 w/ 240 hrs. It does emit a bit of smoke on startup and throttle up but burns clean when running at a constant rpm level. My JD 750 does not smoke a bit unless under a lot of stress. I don't really know if this is normal as my only experience is with the 750 for the last 2 years. The larger 4 cyl. 1070, 39 hp engine may be acting normally. Any other thoughts? It has hookups for a 440 loader although it did not come with the loader. Could you lose this amount of fluid on detaching a loader such as this. Also,I just realized that these hydraulics were used to power a rear sweeper. Could this have an effect? I am thinking of calling the place where the dealer purchased the tractor and try to find out anything that they will tell me. ....

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-06-09          17070

The situation you describe is common with compact tractors owned by "handymen" (no offence to greasy-handed guys) what happens is the owner puts on a new hydraulic-powered implement (such as a sweeper) and 'powers it up' forgeting that a new system is a dry system. Your unit is likely such a case, and there is probably a sweeper unit somewhere in the world with 3.5 gal. of your hydraulic fluid 'sloshing' around in it, whereas a dealer would have topped up the system after testing the new device. Just to be on the safe side ask the dealer if he will check your machine over to make sure that the low oil level didn't cause any harm, if he won't, at least get him to make a note that he is a ware that this was the case BEFORE you purchased, then if there is ever a warranty claim you have back-up. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-10          17085

Yes, Murf, I recently did charge two dry cylinders, and didn't check the level. Found it down about a week later, but not seriously down. Good comment, maybe I'll remember next time. I also have to remind myself to set all the hydraulics down before checking the oil level. Still, over 3 gallons down is quite a bit of oil.

View my Photos
Eric Edwards

2000-06-10          17097

I ran the 1070 for an hour yesterday and didn't notice any change in oil level or leakage in general. As for the dealer, he is a used dealer, a farmer who buys and sells compacts for a side income. The machine was bought "as is". This is always risky business but the last JD w/ low hrs I bought turned out to be worth every penny. Would I like a new machine, with a warranty? Of course! Can I realisticly afford it? No way. I don't like the risk involved but this person buys tractors, not at auction, but from individuals or from rental companies that have a maintenance crew. He doesn't doctor up his inventory. He doesn't even wash them. This makes me believe that, if no visible leak occurs, it probably, hopefully is, as you suggest. I'll let you know if it turns out differently. Thanks Eric in NH ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login