Go Bottom

diesel fuel

View my Photos
David Gorosh
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-06-18          17302

How long will diesel keep in a storage tank? Also, how much kerosene do you add to winterize diesel?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel fuel

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-19          17309

Maybe somebody has a good rule of thumb. I try to use fuel within 6 months, but I hear others say a year or two. I think it depends on how it is stored. The main risks are that fuel collects condensation and eventually can grow algae. I decided against having a 55-gallon storage drum since I'm not using that much fuel, and I work at several sites. I just use a couple of big plastic fuel cans and a hand pump.

Drums are best if placed on their side with the back slightly lower to collect condensation. Installing a tap at the lowest point to drain off any water also is good.

Kerosene and #1 diesel are virtually the same. Institutions here with emergency backup diesel generators use #1 diesel year around to eliminate the gelling problem. I've heard a 50% mixture is adequate. However, #1 diesel reduces the power an engine has. I think that using a diesel additive with an anti-gel ingredient is easier and provides adequate protection.

diesel fuel

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-19          17310

Tom, it sounds to me like you've about covered the practical aspects of diesel fuel storage! Everything that you say agrees with what I've seen, studied, and learned over the years. At least it does for the rocky mountains and western states - I've a suspicion that diesel fuel varies in different parts of the country. I keep my diesel in plastic containers, cool, decant it carefully to leave the sludge behind, try to use it within a few years, mix some #1 in with my #2 for the winter, and about the only thing that I do that you didn't mention is to filter mine as I pour it into the tractor's fuel tank. You did mention not to use the last quart or so of fuel in the container.
David asked how long it will last and I don't know. I guess it would outlast gasoline if you keep the water and air away from it. I do know that I keep my gasoline mixture for the chain saws and small engines in a sealed plastic 5 gallon container and it lasts for many years. The stuff I used this weekend is 7 or 8 years old and it runs fine. I think that the secret is to keep it cool and airtight. Otherwise it gets that "old gas" smell. ....

diesel fuel

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-20          17331

Roger: Just curious what you use for a filter. I ordered one from Northern Tool. A good unit, but not what I expected. It's threaded for gas pump sized hose and wouldn't work well with the cheap hand pumps I use that go on fuel cans. I did use the filter for the last 50 gallons of furnace oil we pumped out of a 250-gallon tank, but I was using an electric fuel pump. In terms of fuel storage, the furnace oil sat in the vented tank for 6 or 7 years. Of course, a furnace is different than a diesel engine, but the stuff burns fine in our furnace. Fuel oil does last if it doesn't get algae growing in it. ....

diesel fuel

View my Photos
al

2000-06-20          17344

there is a good link from a site on generators called THE JUICE PAGE they link you to chevron which has a great deal of information about gas and diesel storage.

al ....

diesel fuel

View my Photos
ThatGuy

2000-06-20          17349

I know that Exxon uses a 80% diesel and 20% kerosene as their 'winter blend' here in Virginia. What you have to be careful of is that kerosene does not have all the same lubricating qualities as #2 diesel. Kero is refined better/more than diesel and some of the waxes/lubricants (??) are taken out by the time it gets to the kero stage. So if you burn straight kero you could/would damage the engine after XX hours. Although a diesle engine burns the fuel, the fuel also serves as a lubricant as it is used by the engine. I am not sure soon damage may occur, but you can always call an oil company and ask. I am sure they can tell you. ....

diesel fuel

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-06-20          17353

Tom, my "decanting filter" is nothing more than a nylon stocking which is stored in a plastic bag attached to the fuel can. When I put on the spout, I twist the stocking around the end of the spout so that the diesel has to go through 4 or 5 layers as I fill the tractor. I'm also a believer in letting the fuel sit undisturbed as much as possible so that most of the sludge or whatever collects as a layer on the bottom of the container. ....

diesel fuel

View my Photos
TomG

2000-06-21          17360

Thanks Roger. It may not be 10 micron, but simple is good. Guess I'll have to suggesting going to town and taking my wife out to dinner. That may the only way I can get a discarded stocking. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login