Go Bottom

Tractor coolant questions

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-17          179054

1. How often are people changing the engine coolant? The book says every 12 months--I have read some things here that say 2 years is OK--why is everything else done by hours and this recommendation by months?

2. Do diesel engines have different coolant requirements than gasoline engines? Right or wrong I have never changed nor flushed the radiator on my car--12 yrs old now with over 150,000 miles. How do diesel engines differ?

3. What do you do with the used coolant?

THANKS!

My tractor will break the 200 hr mark this weekend (today if it does not rain) and I was preparing for the 200 hour-check and realized that I have been checking the coolant level but it is supposed to be changed by the book.

Mike

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-17          179056

Good question; here's a poor answer because I'm not sure.

I once saw on a truck-stop shelf, "Diesel-Engine Antifreeze." I didn't think there was any such thing, but diesels do get hotter than most gas engines.

I've heard that the protective additives break down in time. Yanmar calls for changing yearly.

I've heard that if you use hard water, the dissolved minerals in it can precipitate and clog the system, so use softened or distilled.

I've heard that a common cause of a blown head gasket is overheating.

Three things for sure. 1. The right antifreeze mixture deters overheating. 2. If you ever add water, check the concentration, especially if hot or cold temps are approaching. 3. All you can easily drain on most rigs is the rad; draining/replacing the coolant in the block is more involved.

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-17          179058

All may not but the antifreeze I have bought tells it is for both gas and diesel. Can not imagine a difference in the antifreeze.

I change about ever two years. Not sure what the manauls say. Have heard the coolant will or can break down. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-06-17          179066

12 months seems a bit frequent, but the book may have been written before some of the extended life coolants hit the market.

As far as diesel coolant versus petrol coolant, it depends upon the engine. If your diesel is a dry-sleeve engine, you can use automotive type coolant. But it would make me feel a bit more secure if the label actually did say "for diesel or petrol engines". But if your diesel is wet-sleeved, you need a SCA coolant. SCA is an additive that reduces cavitation, with the aim to prevent burning holes in the cylinder sleeves over time. And that additive can wear out over time too, so be sure to follow the minimum change interval suggested on the container - or your book - whichever you deem more applicable.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
AbbasChild
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-18          179073

Thanks for the input everyone!

What abour disposal--I have a septic system and don't really want to put it in there; we have a pond and stream on our property so I am hesitant on putting it down a ground hog hole! :) Do auto-stores recycle it like they do oil?

Mike ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2011-06-18          179074

My farm roads are gravel. I just pour my used anti-freeze in the spots that are prone to be dusty. The surface is so compacted, there's no way for the stuff to ever reach the water table.

//greg// ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login