Go Bottom

Synthetic oil for a new tractor

View my Photos
richard james allen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-29          20171

I need some advice on cold weather tractor use. I have a L3000 Kubota with under 10 hrs of usage. It is starting to get cold here in NJ and after reading some of the posts, I am wondering if I should put Synthetic oil in the tractor or leave what was put in from the factory? The tractor is kept inside a closed barn (with the horse). It will get little use during the cold months (unless we have a lot of snow).

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-29          20174

Richard, there have been some very extensive discussions on synthetic here. Personally, I don't use them in Central Texas, but I know they can have some advantages, particularly in very cold weather. However, it seems to be the concensus of opinion that you should wait until the engine is broken in before changing to a synthetic, i.e., about 100 hours or so. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-30          20197

Nice tractor! I think your best engine protection in cold weather is to use a block heater and plug it in for half an hour or more before starting. It probably came with such a heater installed. If not, most manufacturers provide them. I'd use regular oil for awhile yet - but this is based on nothing more than "feel". Remember that the engine and seals were designed to last for decades using regular oil and more abuse than most people ever put on them. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-01          20206

I use a NH 0w-30 oil (yes, 'zero w) year around--recommended by my dealer for my 500-hour tractor. The oil isn't completely a synthetic and may be OK for a new engine. I seem to recall people saying to wait to over 100 - 150 hours to change to a synthetic, although I don't remember why.

Block heaters in the cold are good, maybe indispensable. However, they don't keep the oil particularly warm. I don't think a standard 10w-30 oil in the cold is really a problem, but a magnetic heater on the oil pan would keep it thinned a bit.

Hydraulic oil in the cold is as much a problem as engine oil. The oil has to warm before the tractor is used much. I run an all season petro oil such as NH F200. I also use two magnetic heaters, on the sump and transmission case, even though the dealer said they really don't do much. Many people say that synthetic hydraulic oils are very good in the winter, and make a hydro transmission run cooler in the summer. Even so, I'll stick with my all-season petro oils and my gear transmission. I don't know if synthetic hydraulic oils are OK in a new machine.

View my Photos
DavidV

2000-10-01          20215

Synthetic oils are great, in fact too great to use in a new piece of machinery. Synthetic oils reduce wear so much that parts do not properly break-in or wear off any "rough" machined edges, piston rings don't set properly, etc.

Typically the recommendation is to wait until 100 to 150 hours before using synthetic.

I'm in the same boat as you with a new machine and will have to change to a lighter weight oil for the winter and then next year change again to synthetic once the proper hours are accumulated. Its a bother but the extra work now will be well worth it down the road.

DaveV ....

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2000-10-04          20292

THis is a common question. However there is absolutely no evidence to indicate that you should not use synthetics in new equipment. Many people dont like to, such as Mark whose opinion I hold in high esteem. But according to Mobil the oil reduces friction, but does not eliminate it. Also stated was that today's new engines are built differently than older ones and the rings dont have to "seat" in the manner they used to. You , at least in my Kubota manual are asked to use baby your tractor a little in the first 50 hours, that should provide enough runin on synthetic or otherwise. Just my 2 cents
Greg Harrison ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-10-07          20410

Does the info at this site help? Any thoughts?
http://www.amsoil.com/products/hdd.html ....

Link:   5W-30 oil

Go Top

Share This

Member Login