Go Bottom

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
Rich Allen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-04          20306

To the panel of experts....What do you do to the fuel in the winter? Some of the posts referenced 'dee zol plus' as a preferred treatment but I have not been able to find it locally. Is this stuff so much better than the products that the local automotive stores carry? Thanks.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-10-04          20308

Rich, there are so many additives that I don't know how you determine whether one is better than another. You want one that claims to disperse moisture and prevent gelling. I use Power Service year round; put a pint in the barrel each time I refill my 55 gallon barrel of diesel. And the only good reason for picking that one is that it's what a farmer neighbor uses in his big diesel tank and tractors and it's locally available at Gebo's, Tractor Supply, and Wal-Mart. ....

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-05          20328

In addition to Bird's comments. Most additives you find in a tractor supply store say something about injector pump lubrication. The less expensive stuff in discount stores usually doesn't. Injector pumps, especially in old tractors, that were engineered before low sulfur fuel probably benefit from extra pump lubrication. ....

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
Norm

2000-10-05          20336

You probably saw the reference to dee-zol+ from me. I use it and am very happy with it. Is it better than anything else? I couldn't tell you, but it works well. As far as local availability, that is no issue these days. I'm in NY, bought mine from a place in MI. Go to www.worldresourcesltd.com. I don't have an interest in the Co., I was just treated well by them and that's enough for me to recommend them. ....

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-10-06          20373

In the northeast normally the fuel is cut 50/50 with kerosene in the winter. This is normally enough for most tractors. Most injector pumps use the fuel oil to lubricate the pumps and more than 50/50 would sacrifice pump life. In looking for an appropriate additive look for one that displaces water,has a anti-gelling additive and increases pump lubrication and you should be all set. ....

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-10-06          20374

In the northeast normally the fuel is cut 50/50 with kerosene in the winter. This is normally enough for most tractors. Most injector pumps use the fuel oil to lubricate the pumps and more than 50/50 would sacrifice pump life. In looking for an appropriate additive look for one that displaces water,has a anti-gelling additive and increases pump lubrication and you should be all set. ....

Winter Fuel Additives

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-07          20389

I think #1 diesel, like 50/50 kerosene, also doesn't gel, and it doesn't require mixing. Around here #1 diesel off-road diesel is available from fuel contractors that supply large emergency backup generators. Kerosene, itself, is real expensive around here. I believe that use of either #1 or 50/50 does result in some loss of power compared to #2 diesel with an anti-gel additive. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login