Go Bottom

New Holland synthetic hydraulic oil

View my Photos
Chris
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-10-13          20536

I've heard New Holland offers a synthetic hydraulic oil, does anyone know if this is true? If so, how does it compare with AMSOIL ATH?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
tom

2000-10-13          20555

Forgive my ignorance, but why are you wanting to use a synthetic?
tom ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-10-14          20561

My NH dealer hasn't mentioned a synthetic hydraulic oil, but their 0w-30 engine oil is sort of a synthetic. The NH hydraulic oils I know are 134D, a straight weight, and F200, a multi-season. I believe both are petro oils. The advantages of synthetics are somewhat controversial. The advantages I've heard are: better in extreme cold weather, cooler running HST's and longer component life. I've got gears and run a petro all season oil. ....

View my Photos
Chris

2000-10-14          20571

I live in Minnesota and after reading other posts concerning tractor operation in cold weather, I have convinced myself to try the synthetics in my tractor. However, I did confirm with my dealer that he does have a full synthetic transmission/hydraulic fluid that he said he gets from New Holland. I think I'll probably end up using the AMSOIL ATH, but I was just curious if anyone had heard of or used the NH synthetic. ....

View my Photos
Mike K

2000-11-01          21111

New Hollands F200 oil was designed to work in extreme cold weather and they also say it works good in the hot weather( year round use). this is the only new oil they have come out with in many yearsn other than up grading the 134 oil. I dont know if the F200 is synthetic. They never have advertised it that way. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-11-02          21140

A NH parts counter guy told me the F200 is sort of a semi-synthetic.' He went on to say that they didn't used to be able to say that, so they called it a petro oil. However, I'm not sure a term like 'semi-synthetic' sheds much more light on the subject. From some perspective, I guess multi-grade engine oils also could be called semi-synthetic.

I guess while I'm commenting on oil, I'll pass along a comment I heard on another board. The subject was oiling electric motor bearings. One comment said that a non-detergent oil should be used. He said that detergents disperse any water though out the oil. The operating temperatures in a combustion engine are hot enough to remove the water. However, in electric motors any water remains in the oil and contributes to corrosion. I never gave much though to what's in my oil can. I guess it's usually whatever engine oil I'm using when the can needs filling. Maybe I should give it some thought.

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-11-02          21142

TomG, this is something I have no technical expertise in, but I also have been told to use non-detergent oil for electric motors, and I repair/rebuild mechanics' air tools and a lot of impact wrenches have motor oil in the front end in the impact mechanism and they call for SAE 20W or SAE 30W non-detergent motor oil. Of course, the air tool oil that is injected into the air intake is a light weight gum solvent oil. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login