Go Bottom

Engine starting

View my Photos
Vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-10          22298

Gentlemen, a question, I've noticed the colder it is the longer it takes my " idiot light" low pressure indicator to go out, (up to operating pressure). The other day it was about 15 degrees F , I had the block heater pluged in for a couple of hours. The machine fired right up, But it might have taken about 6 seconds for the light to go out. In the hot summer weather it might take about 3 seconds, It just seems to me that in the low temps. that's a long time to run with questionable oil pressure. Is this normal??? BTY the machine is a Ford NH 1920 with about 400 hours on it. Vince

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Engine starting

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-11          22341

The difference you are seeing is the difference between your oil thickness betwwen cold and warmer temps. This is unaffected by the use of a block heater. ....

Engine starting

View my Photos
Roger L.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-11          22353

for the first start of the day, I always crank mine over with the compression release pulled (and the throttle all the way off) for 10 or 15 seconds. Usually the oil light will go out. Even if it doesn't it goes out as soon as it starts. On very cold days you may want to leave the block heater plugged in for longer than normal so that it will warm the oil. I've left my block heater on - with a blanket on the tractor - for several hours on bitter cold days. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login