Go Bottom

John Deere 0w-40

View my Photos
DFB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-17          22542

A trip to the dealer resulted in the following info. A synthetic blend of engine lubrication for JD. Called PLUS-50 0w-40. Recomended for year round use. Rated for temp ranges of -40F to 122F. Pour point of -54F. JD claims when used with JD filters oil drain intervals can be extended 50% over what is stated in the operators manual to offset cost. About twice the price of Torq-Gard Supreme. Certainly looks interesting. First New Holland has it. Now John Deere.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 0w-40

View my Photos
Tim Bartlett

2000-12-18          22579

Mobil makes a synthetic called Delvac-1 it is a 5w40 full synthetic like Mobil 1 except it is formulated for diesels. I run it year round in my Dodge Diesel and in the winter (block heater not plugged in) the engine turns over as nearly as fast as it does in the summer, and as we Diesel owners know cranking speed is essential if a diesel is going to start in cold weather. It also provides for quick oil pressure buildup. I worked in an Engineering Development Lab for 16 years developing the GE HMPT-500 transmission used in the US Army’s Bradley Fighting Vehicle. This was a Hydro-mechanical 3 range steering transmission with internal oil cooled brakes and I was involved in a test to check the compatibility of Delvac 1 synthetic oil in this transmission. Now a little background. The transmission was developed using a premium 15w40 diesel grade oil and part of development required durability testing of the transmission which consisted of repetitions of a 6.6 hour duty cycle which consisted of test points ranging from 10 to 30 minutes and 190 to 260 degrees. This test cycle was repeated for a total of 440 hours of actual point time with approximately 600 hours total including startup, warm-up and transition from point to point. Every 110 hours we did a performance test and compared it to the data recorded before durability to determine if any problems were developing. This is where it gets interesting, we had to flush the transmission prior to these 110-hour performance checks due to oil breakdown. This transmission being a Hydro-Mechanical steering transmission with internal oil cooled brakes would shear and breakdown the oil to the point where after 110 hours it would not pass pre-durability performance test points. Engineering wanted to test compatibility of synthetics and chose Delvac-1 5w40. This test was exactly the same as the others. After 110 hours the transmission was tested for performance and it passed the performance test. It also passed at 220, 330, 440 hours with no oil changes. Engineering was now very interested so it was decided to repeat the test with the same oil so another 440 hour test was performed with similar results. When the post durability test data was compared to the pre performance test data it was only off a couple percentage points it passed all test parameters after 880 hours of durability or a total of approximately 1200 hours. I use synthetic in all my vehicles. In my car and truck I run it for 7 to 8000 miles and in one instance because I was in the hospital the car went 12000 miles with no problems. My father used to change his oil every 20000 miles and it currently has 200,000 miles on it and runs well. In my Ford 1720 tractor I change it every 200 hours, Ford recommends 100 hours and it also turns over much faster in sub zero weather with quicker oil pressure buildup. In my motorcycle I heard a noticeable reduction in transmission gear noise when I put Synthetic in my 1500cc Goldwing. I also use it in my lawn mower engine and hydrostatic transmission. From what I have seen there is no comparison to synthetic oil; it is worth every penny especially if you value your investment, which in this case is a tractor. Delvac-1 is recommended for use in the hydrostatic drives of snow grooming equipment that encounter extreme low and high temperatures, hmmm that sounds like it could be a tractor situation. If it's worth buying it's worth using the best oil its cheap insurance. One added benefit is the ability to extend oil changes if monitored properly or heaven forbid forgotten. Check it out and don’t be scared it won’t void your warranty, for more info go to the Mobil website. ....

John Deere 0w-40

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-18          22586

Everybody's got their favorites. Certainly sounds like an exceptional choice. Won't do a thing for the price of my John Deere stock though ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login