Go Bottom

diesel fumes

View my Photos
ridge runner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-25          22815

Has anybody been reading about the danger in breathing diesel fumes ? Medical researchers say it's some bad stuff (cancer causing particulate matter ). Should we be wearing paper masks when we're cooped up in a barn with a running tractor ? I'm curious and would like some feed back. Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel fumes

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-25          22818

Perhaps a doctor or chemist could answer that question better than a tractor board, where are you Dr. Allen? Exhaust from any type of internal combustion engine is not a good thing to breathe. A well ventilated area should be used if the machine is running inside or an evacuator hose connected to the exhaust. Too much of a bad thing is no good no matter what it is, ever read of the toxic chemical compounds found in cigarette smoke? I know people that have worked around these engines all their lives with no noticeable side effects however had they performed maintenance with the engines running and the overhead doors closed, well you know the rest. I'm sure someone else on the board may be able to be more specific. ....

diesel fumes

View my Photos
Dubber

2000-12-25          22821

Diesel exhaust is not carcinogenic. Kalifornia has declared it a carcinogen but there is absolutely no proof that this is true. It is low in monoxides, so will not kill you like gas exhaust in a confined space. There is a forum at Fred's TDI page with a section on emissions. www.tdiclub.com/ ....

Link:   Fred's

diesel fumes

View my Photos
droz

2000-12-26          22823

With regards to the last post, there is NEVER any proof that something is carcinogenic, only lots of statistics and evidence to show a causal relationship. Carbon monoxide binds more strongly to hemoglobin thus eliminating the necessary oxygen. I don't know for a fact that diesel fumes have less CO but breathing them will obviously limit the amount of O2 you are inhaling and certainly will kill you in a confined space, albeit more slowly. As for being absolutely carcinogenic, who wants to take that change. We also know of people that have smoked packs of cigarettes every day and didn't develop cancer. That is not a very wise decision though.
Dr. Roznik ....

diesel fumes

View my Photos
Doctor Allen

2000-12-26          22831

This link may help you. Just remember, most testing and most reports are subjective. http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg286.htm ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login