Go Bottom

Transmission hydraulic cleaning

View my Photos
Luke
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-20          24432

After I drain the fluid, would it be safe to flush the transmission on my Yanmar1500 with diesel or kerosen?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-21          24464

I've heard of people flushing their TX as a part of changing hydraulic oil. However, most times I've heard of the practice seems to be done after the oil was contaminated in some way. My impression is that, in general, flushing a TX shouldn’t be necessary for a regular oil change. The filter takes out most particles, and most people change their oil before the filter becomes clogged. ....

View my Photos
Ted Kennedy

2001-02-21          24468

Luke, you have me a bit confused. Why would you want to flush your transmission? If there is no obvious contamination present, like metal chips, dirt, or gasket material, then you should just perform the regularly scheduled maintenance. If there is a problem with contamination, other than sludge which is often caused by moisture, then the transmission should be disassembled, carefully examined, cleaned, dried, and reassembled. You just can't reach all of the nooks and crannies by introducing another fluid into the case, and you never, ever, want to introduce a cleaning fluid into an assembled transmission case under pressure. As far as kerosene is concerned, it is best left as a fuel. The only time I use it to clean is when something is all apart, never when it is assembled. If sludge is the problem, then drain the case, change the filters, and re-fill using the manufacturer's approved fluid. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login