Go Bottom

diesel starting help

View my Photos
Steve
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-02-27          24762

Need info of diesel + ether. My book says don't do it. (I haven't) But I have seen neighbor who farms with White and MF diesels routinly use starting fluid (ether) in cold weather. Wouldn't that cream the pistons/cyl head?????? I had a problem in real cold temps starting the B7300. Typically use a heat lamp now. Anybody know if a block heater is available??

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel starting help

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2001-02-27          24775

Ether is a volatile subject (you should pardon the pun) Different tractors have different requirements. If you have glow plugs, ether can blow the intake right off the tractor. If you don't have glow plugs or preheaters, overuse of ether can still grenade an engine. Just a whiff in the general vicinity of the air intake is an accepted method of use. Read your manual or ask your dealer.

Generic block heaters are available in various forms, from dipstick (not very effective) to magnetic clamp on (better, but still not great) to the type that splice into the radiator hose (best if done right). A local dealer or tractor mechanic should be able to point you in the right direction.

My JD750 has pre-heat. 10-15 seconds on the pre-heater, and she'll start every time in 0 to -10 weather, and wind chills of -30. ....

diesel starting help

View my Photos
TomG

2001-02-28          24802

I think the most common coolant heaters are block heaters that replace an engine freeze plug. A dealer should be able to come up with one. Rad hose types also work. My experience in -0F weather is that a couple of hours on a block heater, pre-heat and the engine fires just like during the summer. I do use #1 diesel, which starts a little easier than #2. I also use winter weight engine and hydraulic oils, which allow the starter to spin the engine faster in the cold than summer oils. Diesels have to spin fast to start, and batteries or wiring in poor condition will create starting problems. I believe that the use of ether always puts an engine at risk, and its use shouldn't be needed anyway. I have heard of people spraying WD-40 into the air intake as the engine is cranking but I don't have an opinion on the wisdom of this method. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login