Go Bottom

Gas in a Diesel

View my Photos
Desert Farmer
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-04-28          27328

Have you ever heard of anyone dumb enough to put gas in a diesel tractor? Well I accidently did it. I added about 3 gallons of unleaded gas to about 7 gallons of diesel and ran the engine for about 5 minutes before the mistake was called to my attention. I immediately drained all the fuel and put in diesel. The engine seems to run the same and there is no noticable difference in power. Have I done long-term damage to the engine in ways that aren't evident yet? The tractor is an old Massey Fergesen. Help.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Gas in a Diesel

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2001-04-28          27330

Ever known anyone to put gasoline in a diesel tractor? Nope, can't say I have, but I sure have known of lots of people putting gasoline in diesel cars and pickups. I'm certainly not a mechanic, but from what you say, it's running OK now, so I'd be surprised if it's hurt. ....

Gas in a Diesel

View my Photos
bill darbyshire

2001-04-28          27333

I'm not an expert, but: I used gasoline in my 1976 Mercedes-Benz 240D diesel in the winter from 1976 to 1983, and never had any sign of problem during that time. The M-B owners manual allowed maximum of either 20% 0r 25% to prevent gelling in the cold. Gasoline and diesel fuel formulas are different now, so it's probably not a good practice on a regular basis. Neither our Dodge Cummins diesel nor our new Beetle diesel manuals mention adding gasoline in the diesel fuel. That said, I'd bet you've done no long-term harm because of the short duration it was in the tank before you drained it, and because it's running well now. ....

Gas in a Diesel

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-04-29          27346

Sounds like you've been living right. I think you would have had any damage happen right away. You got lucky. ....

Gas in a Diesel

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-01          27608

You may be interested in this link that came up from a Google search. Looks like a sailing/nautical message board. 2 of the 3 responses to his post say that it is not a big deal.

Bill Mullens ....

Link:   Gas contaminated diesel fuel

Go Top

Share This

Member Login