Go Bottom

diesel smell

View my Photos
Rick Cosman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-01          27619

I bought some diesel today. It looked lighter, or clearer than normal. Also seemed to smell different, best I can say is sweeter? Any thoughts? Rick C.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

diesel smell

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-05-03          27694

Rick Where you buy will have a large impact. Branded fuels are all done a little differently, but to the same specs. They just get there differently. Some make sure the have winter additives so people do not have problems during adverse weather and change back in spring. Other buy from the market and it may be from several sources. I have heard that some have tried perfuming it so as not to be offensive to the delicate noses of the uptown diesel car crowd. They even provide them little plastic gloves. Ain't that sweet? ....

diesel smell

View my Photos
mark

2001-05-03          27715

little plastic gloves. LMBO ....

diesel smell

View my Photos
Eric Peters

2001-05-12          28095

Diesel is just a distillate of crude oil. Fraction x which has a boiling point of y if placed in the diesel, fuel oil, kerosene and JP1 streams. Fuel oil is less refined, kerosene and JP1 are more refined to remove more impurities. The composition of the diesel is made of thousands of different chemicals. Each tank of diesel is different in composition, each oil well will produce different diesel. This is how the pollution control can track the source of spills into water ways.
Many wells have high sulfur content this gives diesel high odour. Many petrolium companies are trying to reduce the level of sulfur in diesel. ....

diesel smell

View my Photos
Rick Cosman

2001-05-13          28129

Harvey and Eric Thanks for an understandable explanation. I was afraid that a driver might have crossed over some gas at the station. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login