Go Bottom

transmission screen filters only

View my Photos
Rich Allen
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-06-21          29474

On my Kub. L3000dt tractor (manual drive) there are only screens to filter the hydralic fluid, no real spin-on filter. Can anybody explain why this would be done and if it is sufficient to keep the oil clean. Thanks Rich.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-21          29483

Many designs of hydraulic systems use the screens instead of regular filters and some use both. The difference is the amount of contamination and the type they can handle. ....

View my Photos
Rich Allen

2001-06-21          29487

So the fact that there is no filter just a screen and the Kub. has power steering and pto, should I be concerned about simi filtered oil causing damage. Or is the clearences within the pto/power steering/oil pump greater that the size of the unfiltered contamination which would eliminate the need for a filter? Rich. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-21          29502

The clearances in those pumps is real tight. I've seen and used screen-filtered hydraulic systems for years with no problems and no observable wear. But these are in loaders.....not power steering - which does raise the ante. Of course if they don't filter the oil, then the pressure loss is reduced and the flow rate goes up....lower HP losses etc. So you can see why they are built that way. There used to be a nifty compromise which might still be available. This was called a "bypass filter" and it filtered a small proportion of the oil stream instead of the entire flow. So the pressure drop through the filter could be very high, but from the standpoint of the entire system it was almost zero. As I recall, this type of bypass lube filtering was good at scrubbing wear particles out of engine oil, so it might do you some good. Are you sure that the screen is all that they have? Some machinery uses a centrifugal spinner to sort the heavy particles out and these are very efficient. ....

View my Photos
Rich Allen

2001-06-22          29514

Rodger, what bypass filter would you recommend? I know amsoil makes one and there are a couple of other mfgs. Rich ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-22          29531

Rich, I don't know enough about the commercial filter systems available right now to give an opinion one way or the other. If I were doing it on my tractor, I'd just add some small diameter "Y" connectors in the high pressure line and lead those via small diam. hydraulic hose to a commercial filter. You can buy these spin-on filters as well as the housing with the NPT fittings already tapped into the housing base. They are available at any hydraulic dealer and at most all farm supply stores. They are called a "remote spin on oil filter" and aren't even expensive
Hmm...here is an idea. Let me know what you think of it:
If you have external hydraulic outlets with quick disconnects, you could buy the remote filter and base as above and provide it with hoses terminating in quick disconnects. Then anytime you want to clean the hydraulic oil you just put this rig into the remote outlets and let the flow go through the filter for awhile.

View my Photos
TomG

2001-06-23          29535

A couple of thoughts about the bypass idea: I guess the filter outlet would go back to the sump. Flow through the filter would be highly variable. Low flow when all valve centres are open and high during heavy hydraulic loads. The aperture size may be important. Too large and hydraulic capacity (pressure as well as flow) would be sacrificed. Too small and the oil may be heated--similar to prolonged operation with an open relief valve. The quick disconnect idea is interesting. I imagine it would be installed on something like a rear hydraulic circuit, and the control lever could be bungeed open to run full flow through the filter. In that case, I guess the SCV should be a power beyond type, or system pressure could be placed on the filter. I don't know how much pressure filters can withstand. Another alternative might be to find a remote filter base (universal type is a popular term that seems to mean that it won't fit on whatever I've got) and place it in the suction line. Some sections of my suction line are rubber and connected with nipples and pipe clamps. It shouldn't be too difficult to do the plumbing if a base could be mounted on the engine near the pump. There may be some difficulties here I'm not aware of. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-06-23          29536

Just a thought on this bypass filter idea. If installed wrong, it could cause excess heat,this could destroy the system as fast as dirt or faster. Kubota feels that system is good enough for the proper use of that tractor. Another thought on filters in general and this has been out all over this board about aftermarket filters. People who use aftermarket filters do there equipment little justice as often the filters that are cheaper are that for a reason. They have less filtration than the tractor is supposed to. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2001-06-23          29547

Filters construction can come in many styles. Oil filters are normally cellulose with melamine resin impregnation. In terms of filtration these are one of the cheapest and are not as good as or efficient as the more modern depth filters like the spunbond water filters or other fabrics used in pleated filters.
Stainless filters are available and are used in applications were you need to clean the filter periodically. These are available with pore sizes as fine as the other filter media. These are the most expensive filters you can buy this side of the membranes for ultrafiltration.
Many automatic transmissions use only fine metal screens for filtration.
My question, with these fact in mind, is how fine are the screens? You may ave a better filter what is proposed as a by pass.
Peters ....

View my Photos
David Waite

2001-06-24          29578

Gent's please use caution when splitting the high pressure lines most spin on filters cannot with stand the pressure 2000 PSI, the are normally on the suction side low pressure below 100 PSI. The filters on my MF on the pressure side are screen type encased in a cast iron manifold the spin on filters are on the return lines lower pressure side of the valves. the wrong filter can rupture spray oil and if it hits hot manifold can cause a fire. just my thought on it ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-06-24          29582

That's a good point, David. I should have said that there is a difference between high and low pressure filters. One tip off will be the price. But don't count on guesswork: Always be sure about the system pressure and the pressure ratings of the components. If you aren't sure, then it is easy and cheap to plumb in a simple pressure gauge....and they are fun to watch. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login