Go Bottom

Synthetic Oils and Small Deisel Engines

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-14          30072

Does anyone out there have experience with synthetic oils and small deisels? I have gotten sterling performance with this stuff in my gasoline engines but I wonder if it will do all the things a good deisel formulation will do. Any Opinions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2001-07-15          30095

See feed and care under tractor use this month. If you can find a synthetic oil formulated for diesel applications then go ahead. Personally I have never seen one. Do not use a oil formulated for automotive use in a diesel. There are antiburn additives and detergents in diesel oil added to protect the engine.
A diesel produces a lot more soot than a gas engine. These find their way into the oil and must remain suspended in the oil or will deposit in oil journals etc.
High compression etc. creates more oil use with standard oil. You will find the diesel will rapidly burn regular or synthetic automotive oil. Unfortunately I am type that experiments and need to be convinced and ran Castrol Syntec in my JD 750 for about 10 hrs when I first got it. Thats how long it took to burn a quart. I thought I might have bought a lemon. Switched to Shell diesel oil and everthing was Ok, not a quart between changes.
You can use diesel oil in an old car to reduce oil consumption. You just need to watch it if you have a very dirt engine as some of the deposits can dislodge. You need to do a quick change.
This is similar to the trick of adding a quart of transmission to clean an old engine.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Rob Munach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-07-16          30113

Amsoil makes an excellent Diesel specific synthetic. ....

View my Photos
Farmer Giles

2001-07-16          30118

My tractor is brand new and still has the factory oil in the engine. However, when it comes time to change I believe I am going to use the same oil that I purchase for my motorhome with Cummins diesel engine. It's called Valvoline Premium Blue 2000 15W-40 and it's a semi-synthetic available from Cummins dealers or most large oil jobbers. The main problem with full synthetics used in engines that can be dormant for long periods is the tendency to drain off the cylinder walls and lead to potential "dry starts". The mineral oil content of Premium Blue has good "wetting" properties and tends to cling to the cylinder walls for better protection at startup. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2001-07-17          30154

I've heard that it's a good idea to wait until around 200 hours before switching to synthetic. the idea has to do with completing the engine break-in and working in the seals. The NH 0W-30 I use also is described as a semi-synthetic. ....

View my Photos
richard james allen

2001-07-17          30170

I have heard that synthetic oil will drain off of the internal engine parts after a long period of nonuse..... BULL !

When I swiched the generator over to synthetic oil, I could not get the dipstick dry to check the level! Never did I have that problem with dino. oils. I ended up using carb cleaner to dry the dipstick. Not to start a syn/dino flame war here, but my personal expierence says that the draining thing is a myth. IMHO. Rich. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2001-07-17          30171

It's funny that this 'drain down' thing has come up again, I was talking about this very subject on the weekend, but in relation to synthetic oils for oil-injected two strokes (jetski's in particular). The dealer (and factory also) recomend the use of full synthetic oils, and the "fogging" spray that the manufacturer makes for pre-storage treatment of the engines is full synthetic "because the superior 'clinging' ability of a synthetic oil means your engine has the most protection against corrosion possible until you are ready to begin enjoying your leisure product again.". I find it hard to believe that the worlds largest manufacturer of these products would be wrong..... Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Farmer Giles

2001-07-17          30181

I agree with you, in fact, I use synthetics on all my cars. However, Teledyne Continental does not recommend full synthetics in aircraft engines that are going to sit for a while ( a month or two perhaps). It could be that automotive synthetics have better wetting properties than aircraft engine oils. I still believe I'll use a semi-synthetic and get the best of both worlds. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2001-07-18          30205

Amsoil has a very good synthetic diesel motor oil. I use it in my 2 diesel trucks. I will be putting it in my JD 4400 at the next oil change, at 200 hours. 15W-40 Synthetic Heavy Duty Diesel & Marine Motor Oil. They also have Synthetic Hydraulic fluids. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2001-07-18          30217

Here we go again with the dino versus synthetic. There will be no definitive answers only results from us, the user of our favorite oil.. That said--
I use Delvav 1 synthetic diesel oil from Mobil. I use it in my Kubota 4310GST. I have used it since 50 hours so far now at 260 with no problems. I use it because the synthetics are SUPPOSED to have less thermal degradation, higher lubricity, the viscocity index is higher , meaning it should stick to surfaces better with less draindown,the detergent package is supposed to be better. I could go on but I believe we all get my drift. Whether it actually is better I don't know. I do believe that we cannot kill our machines will kindness. I hope in the event of the motor running hot or something that the SUPPOSEDLY superior oil will provide some extra level of protection.
This is only my opinion and not intended to get anyone offende.
Where is Mark C. , he will surely give a very informed opinion.
Hope this is of some use
Greg H ....

View my Photos
jimh

2002-10-19          43986

I always changed oil just after the recommend break in. I never used synthenic products but you guys convenienced me for long term stability and durability its the best.
Please answer a few questions. For my JD 4110.

1.Getting all the old oil out and then mixing new syntheic is it ok for the these two different items to mix?

2.Amsoil brand appear to be the best so I purchased all Syntheic fluids for the change at 50 hrs. Oil, Hydro, MFWD gear oil, grease, filter, etc. Do you Master JD owners see any problem with the conversion?

3.What about a hydrotransmission filter other than JD?

4.MFWD on a JD 4110 I have not seen recommended Gear oil so I got Amsoil 80-90 Syntheic. Is it OK to change? ....

View my Photos
Peters

2002-10-19          43992

1)Years ago their as some worry about miscibility between the synthetics and the mineral oils. I just drain the oil and replace the little left in the engine will not do any harm.
2) The only problem would be JD willingness to cover waranty work, but as the synthetic have a higher rating than their oils they have no legal right to refuse work. You would also be covered by Amsoil if the problem was lub related.
3) Napa and Wix carry filters but I have found the JD filters to be reasonably priced and as easy to obtain so I have stuck with the JD filters.
4) Stop right there. I believe the transmission and rearend and front end use the JD hydrallic oil at least that is what my JD 750 did. The oil in the transmission is used for the complete hydrallic system. It take a lot to refill. My 955 has hydraulic drive so. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login