Go Bottom

Methanol

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-30          36874

I haven't heard much about methanol lately and I'm starting to miss the subject (tongue is in cheek). So I thought I'd make a new post--especially since we've been in the buz of reducing misinformation or at least I hope so.

I heard that diesel fuel is not supposed to have methanol added in the form of anti-icing/gelling fuel conditioners. Gas anti-icing additive typically contains methanol. I do know the cheapy diesel anti-gell stuff sold in my local box store specifies 'Does Not Contain Methanol,.' Or maybe it just says ‘Contains Kerosene.’ However, I don't use it irrespective of what it does or doesn't contain.

So what I heard is that somebody damaged an engine by using a gas engine anti-icing product. The reason was a permeability/corrosion issue in the manifold/head. Another comment was that methanol can take water passed the fuel filter into the injectors where it can vapourize and "blow the tips off the injectors." Somehow, the exploding tips seems doubtful, but any comments that can distinguish between info and misinfo would be constructive.

Seems like it would be a lot easier just to keep the tank topped up during the winter so there's no water to freeze or to explode the tips if the comment actually is info rather than misinfo.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Methanol

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-03-31          36917

Tom;
I would doubt the exploding tips very much but corrosion could clog the tips. Clogged open the back pressure might do some damage to the lines/pump.
I would suspect as with most problems with a diesel the possibility of corrosion/reduce lubrication in the injector pump/distributor is the problem. To accept the pressures the pump and distributor the surfaces are highly machined. Any little corrosion will jam the parts causing falure.

Methanol

View my Photos
David Waite
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-03-31          36920

My brother works on diesel trucks and awhile back I asked him about it, so it is hear say but the water expansion rate under pressure is different than diesel and it will expand the tips so it doesn't spray the diesel right. But that was quite awhile back. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login