Go Bottom

Restart after out of fuel

View my Photos
SJMason
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-01          50327

Once a long time ago I ran out of fuel and had to recharge the lines....did it again today, and I was checking to see if the post that helped me then was here but I don't see it.

I have a Yanmar diesel with filter.

Anyone have the post or can help?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-03-01          50328

After running diesel equipment for nearly 40 yrs I ran a tractor out of fuel just this past week for the first time in my life. It was a Case model 1070 tractor. I'd been told you had to crack injector lines to get all the air out, but being afraid they might not reseal I cracked the line between the filters and the injection pump, added some fuel to the tank then used the hand primer to pump the air thru the filters till it was bubble free fuel, turned the key and to my amazment she started right up, ran a little rough I suppose till all the air was out of the injector lines then ran just fine. Probably you should check your owners manual first, but this worked for me, maube just beginners luck. ....

View my Photos
larry

2003-03-01          50331

If your lucky its just one screw at the injector pump
Turn on the key so the pump is running then open the screw until fuel is running then retighten works for me on Cub (Mitsubishi) ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-02          50344

The type of bleeding required depends on how much air got into the injector lines. Air in injector lines compresses and if there's too much air enough pressure to open the injectors won't be developed. The only way to clear that condition is to bleed air from the lines. Cracking the line nuts at the engine end and cranking the engine usually how injector lines are bled. It's a messy and somewhat dangerous job that often has to be repeated--fortunately I've never had to do it.

Bleeding the fuel lines and injector pump may clear the problem. That type of bleeding normally is done by opening all bleed screws on the fuel filter bowl (my Ford has two bleed screws) and letting all air bubble out. Then, tighten the filter bows bleed screws and repeat for the injector pump. The bleed screw on my pump is a bit hard to identify. It's on the face of the pump but it looks more like an adjustment with a lock nut. I have bled from a banjo fitting where the fuel line attaches to the pump but that won't clear the pump body itself.

If the injector lines have to be bled, a manual would have a procedure that should be followed. An injector line can contain almost 2,000-lbs. pressure even when the tractor is off. That's plenty of pressure to inject fuel under the skin or into an eye. Either could cause serious medical problems. There probably is a torque spec for the fitting nuts that would be good to know.

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50378

I guess the question is: Is the tractor direct or indirect injection. My JDs were indirect and purging at the injector pump was all that was required. Someone made comment the otherday that Yanmar makes a direct injection too. In this case you would need to purge each line at each injector as described.
Peters ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50389

My JD is direct inject. It has an auto-bleed fuel system. If the tractor runs out of fuel, just refuel and restart.

This is according to the manual. I have never run out of fuel so who knows.

Billy ....

View my Photos
TomG

2003-03-03          50408

Yep, my old Ford came before auto-bleed systems. I've never known if they are capable of bleeding the injector lines as well. I might learn something here. ....

View my Photos
JD4300

2003-04-22          53584

I have a JD 4300 and ran out of fuel the other day due to an inoperative fuel gauge. All I did was refuel and crank it over. It did take quite a few revolutions but it eventually started. Due to the compression, I was concerned that I didn't have the amperage to spin it long enough but it did start. I don't think anything less than an excellent battery would have done it though. ....

View my Photos
sawzmost

2003-04-29          54017

I've got a 1990 JD 855 with a 3 cylinder yanmar (I beleive direct inject). I've run out of fuel 2 or 3 times (work on a lot of hills) and have re-fueled and cranked for 6 to 10 seconds to start every time. Most yanmar auto purge systems work excellent and need no other intervention. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login