Go Bottom

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
johnnydee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-13          53075

My TC29d just passed 50 hours and had no problems !
I had a 45 gal drum dropped off with farm diesel !
I had a half tank of fuel so I topped off with farm diesel
30 minutes later the engine choked belched smoke and quit!
Now it won't start, I checked the drum and it smells like diesel and my receipt says I bought diesel !
Any ideas ?
Thansk John

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-13          53094

There is on old rule in the trouble shooting game..... go back to the last thing you did or changed. My vote...Drain the tank and refill it with fuel from another source and see what that will do. ....

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-23          53664

I would suggest removing and replacing the fuel filter and draining enough fuel from the bottom of the tank to ensure you have no water or contaminants left in the bottom. Drain it into a clear jar so you can get a good look at the fuel for water, algae, or other contaminants. Get some VERY good diesel fuel additive (i.e. John Deere Summer Formula, Amalgamated, or Stanadyne, Power Service is OK from Wally World) and add it to the fuel in a generous amount. If you are lucky you will have to crank on the engine a bit to get it to fire up, otherwise you may have to purge the lines up to the pump and maybe the injectors if it still will not start. Hold the throttle wide open while cranking until it is firing good. Hopefully the bad fuel did not damage. (it should not have if you had a good filter installed) Once you have it started, ALWAYS treat your fuel with diesel fuel additive. I put John Deere Summer formula in my Cummins and 4410 ALWAYS. Treat that barrel of diesel too! Good luck! ....

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
FireFly Farms

2003-04-29          53995

John,

Just curious as to what makes diesel "farm diesel"? I agree, drain and use a different batch and see what happens.
my .02
Scott ....

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
Billy

2003-04-29          53999

Scott,

Farm diesel doesn't have the road tax added to the price, is dyed red (so DOT can check it, if you're running it in your truck), and has a higher sulfur content (I think...not as EPA controlled, yet).

Billy

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-08          73493

johnnydee, its has been awhile but it would be interesting to here the conclusion to this story. Did you get it running again without too much trouble? ....

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-28          128505

Just curious as to what makes diesel " farm diesel " ?
Fire Fly Farms
~~~~~~
Nothing around here >>> You just take plain ole Diesel put red food coloring in it change the name and knock off the highway taxes.

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-28          128508

lbrown, if "Nothing around here." is a correct statement, then your fuel distributor is dumb as a stump!

It actually costs about $0.10 a gallon more to make on-road fuel than off-road fuel, so why use the good stuff when it sells for the same price as the cheap stuff?

In other words, why would the fuel man intentionally toss away an extra $0.10 a gallon? Especially considering the dismal markup they get these days anyway?

Best of luck. ....

Re Diesel fuel

View my Photos
harvey

2006-04-29          128538

Off road is not the same as on road low sulfur.

Off road is not refined as much to remove the sulfur.

This year on road fuel will take a tremendous hit when the neww sulfur standard hits it. We are expecting to see .30 cent increase.

Off road/ farm/heating has a high sulfur content and the feds are about to try and play with that also.

The dyes are added at the refineries, not locally, so it is a done deal before the tanker ever loads.

Go Top

Share This

Member Login