Go Bottom

Two questions

View my Photos
cooleydd
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-24          55487

Two questions please
I have a new NH TC30 (4 hours at this point). I need to fuel it.

1. Do you filter the fuel as recommended in the manual (100 mesh) If so where or what do you use? There is no filter that fits under the fuel cap.

2. How long will disel fuel last in a can before it becomes unusable.

Well maybe one more

3. I store my fuel in 5 gal cans and fill three at a time. How do I store these to keep them from developing inside condensation.

Might as well make it four!!!

4. Do you use larger drums with hand pumps and does this work?

Thanks

Don

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Two questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-25          55517

I don't filter fuel as I add it to the tank. I also change the filter bowl filter more often than called for. I've never looked to see if I have an in-tank screen. If I do it may clog some day and I'll wish I used a filter. Some people do filter fuel as it's added and they use external filters. I do have a 10-micron filter that I use for larger scale pressure fuel transfers when I suspect some contamination in the fuel.

I've used fuel stored for a year or so without problems. I do use a general conditioner with pump lubricant and anti-gel though. It's important that anything added to fuel or engine oil is diesel rated. I haven't looked to see if stabilizers for diesel fuel are available. I just try to time my purchases so I use fuel the same year I buy it and I buy from a reasonably large volume distributor.

Most people use so little fuel that getting into bulk drums isn't needed. Just fill up a can or so in town as needed. Store them upright with the vent closed and they won't pick up much condensation. I have hand pumps for my standard fuel containers. The suction hoses don't go all the way to the bottom so condensation will accumulate. Every year or two I take an empty container and dump the remaining fuel into my furnace tank or use it for cleaning parts.

If you fill by tipping the container, any condensation in the can goes into the tank so it doesn't accumulate in the container. It then collects in the filter bowl where you can see it and clean out the bowl if needed. Condensation in the tractor tank is minimized if the tank is kept topped up--especially in the winter.

Two questions

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55518

1) If you fill from a commercial pump to clean plastic can then there is little need as the fuel was filtered at the pump. If you have your own pump then normally a inline filter ia added. There are a couple of filters on the tractor so it is to prevent water and other contaminates from entering the tank.
2) Diesel fuel can last indefinately the main problems are accumilation of water and bacterial degradation.
3) If they are plastic and air tight it is not a problem as the plastic will not allow moisture to pass. Moisture accumilates from the air and the cold metal on the can.
4) This can work but you need to be careful as there is a lot of water that can accumilate in the tank. You also need to know if you have #1 or #2 in the tank. In areas that switch summer to winter this can be a problem as you may still have a years supply of the wrong fuel for winter use. ....

Two questions

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-25          55543

Here is something that might be just what you are looking for. ....

Link:   Fuel Filter Funnel Link

Two questions

View my Photos
lbrown59

2006-04-28          128506

1* I haven't looked to see if stabilizers for diesel fuel are available.
2* I buy from a reasonably large volume distributor.
3*Just fill up a can or so in town as needed.
4* Every year or two I take an empty container and dump the remaining fuel into my furnace tank or use it for cleaning parts.
TomG
1*Power Service in the white bottle.
2*What would you define as a reasonably large volume distributor?
3*Cost me an extra 40 or 50 cents a gal to do that here.
4*Why not just fill your tractor from the furnace tank?

Two questions

View my Photos
Murf

2006-04-28          128509

"4*Why not just fill your tractor from the furnace tank?"

See the "HIGH SULFUR FUEL" thread.

I can't see how saving a few cents per gallon is worth losing your warranty and possibly thousands of dollars in repairs.

Best of luck. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login