Go Bottom

Stabil any good

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-23          58184

When the topic of fuel additives comes up everyone talks about Deere or Power Service or whatever their favorite brand is, but Stabil never seems to be mentioned. Is it crap or something?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Misenplace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-23          58185

I have used it a long time and it has always worked well for me. ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Stan in Calif
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-23          58188

The Deere and Power Service stuff is for diesel; Stabil is for gasoline. It is a very good product. I add it to every can of small engine gasoline that I buy. There is no doubt in my mind that it has saved me from doing several carburetor jobs. ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-06-23          58190

The stabil bottle I looked at said it was for diesel fuel or gasoline. ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Art White

2003-06-24          58198

I've never put it in diesels but it sure does work well in gas engines. Three years with no carb tear downs on my sled and they were clean! Diesel fuel doesn't deteriate as fast as gas does so the need for it is less. Regular gas only has at best a 90 day life. ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-24          58239

I put Stabil in all of my gas powered equipment if I expect to leave it set for any period of time. I put it in the Sea Ray gas tank too. Good stuff! I stick with diesel fuel additive for diesel it has many other properties that Stabil does not beside fuel stabilization. ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-25          58247

Chief, Would you elaborate on that a bit ? I have never had to stabalize Diesel before, what do the other products do and what brand do you use ? ....

Stabil any good

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-25          58265

Doc, although not absolutely required, it is VERY prudent measure to take by using a good diesel fuel additive. A good diesel fuel additive should do the following:

1. improve cetane rating (minimum should be 40 but higher is better)cetane rating is not like octane rating. It effects the delay of ignition of the fuel upon compression the less delay the better.

2. add detergents to aid cleaning the fuel system

3. stabilize the fuel (diesel is far more stabil than gas but cannot be stored for extended periods without deteriorating. A tractor or farm fuel source may sit for long periods.

4. enhance the lubricity of the fuel to ensure lubrication of injectors and pumps.

5. rust and corrosion protection from water or other contaminants that may get into fuel.

6. lowers gel/cloud point or winterizes fuel

7. provides de-ice protection in that it soluablizes water deposits mixed in with fuel with the fuel itself; allowing the water to pass through the system (still not good for it) with as little damage/problems as possible.

I have been using John Deere Summer Formula diesel fuel additive mixed with Howes diesel treat. I am considering buying a 5 gallon pale of diesel fuel additive from Amalgamated Inc. Some of the guy over on TDR have been using it and gave good reviews. It is cheaper than what you can buy in Walmart at $95 delivered. If you live near Ft. Wayne IN. You can pick it up for $40 a pale. S & H is expensive. Stanadyne also make a good fuel additive. I have used Power Service in my truck.

Stabil may stabilize the diesel fuel but that is all it will do. I think it was more designed for gas use but works in both. Hope this was not TMI. Cheers! ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login