Go Bottom

Diesel Pump and Fuel StorageTank Filter

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58681

Just got me a nice 55 gallon cube type diesel fuel storage tank and Great Plains Industry hand pump with 12 ft. hose and nozzle for $75. I want to install a 5 micron fuel filter on the set up. Any ideas or suggestions?????? Looking for as much info. as possible. Thanks for any replies.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-01          58682

No suggestions on a filter, but where did you find that deal? Was it just somebody selling one unit locally? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-01          58687

I guy I work with cutting firewood and landscaping sold it to me for that price for helping him out on another job. I thought that was mighty generous of him myself. The inside of the tank was a little dirty but I figured a good filter is very cheap insurance and should be on there anyway. ....

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-01          58688

northern tool sells add-on filter brackets and fuel filter/water separators. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-01          58689

I saw the Golden Rod filters they sell but I believe they are 30 micron filters. I saw some advertised by Cim-Tel that are 5 micron but was wanting to get some feedback from other who may have used them. Thanks for the heads up. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-07-02          58697

Chief check your yellow pages for gas pumps, tanks etc. They will have exactly the unit you will need and it willl plum right onto your stuff. You can get any type of large fuel filter there also.

Your better quality "LOCAL OWNED" auto parts suppliers will also have access to this stuff. ....

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-02          58698

I used a Golden Rod filter I bought from Northern to pump out an old furnace oil tank. I thought it was 10-micron element but I could be mistaken. I think a number of different type filter elements were available though.

I used an electric fuel transfer pump borrowed from our oil dealer. This type of pump would generate some pressure at the filter that would increase flow through the filter. I don't know if hand pumps would produce similar heads.

The filter element on mine isn't very large and using one with a typical hand pump might result in pretty small flows--especially if it had a 5-micron element. It'd be good if someone here has used this type filter with a hand pump and then speculation would be irrelevant.

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-03          58770

I went by the Tractor Supply Company today and bought a Golden Rod pump filter. Tom, you were right, they are 10 micron, they also have a water blocking fuel filter but it is 15 micron. The bowl with the drain should catch any water that comes through. They also had filter fitting kits from Great Plains Industies along with pump and tanks of all descriptions. Thanks for the suggestions. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login