Go Bottom

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
lakeman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-14          66186

I purchased some diesel fuel additive to use in my tractor. It doesn't say anything about helping to keep the fuel fresh. I use Stabil in all of my gasoling engines. Is that somehting that I can use in the diesel fuel? The Stabil says nothing about gasoline or diesel. It just says fuel.

Thanks for your help!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-14          66189

I recently went through the same issues.

There is a lot of discussion of this topic in the archives (check out the older posts in this forum) so I won't repeat it all here. To summarize, Stabil will work in diesel fuel but is probably not the best.

A diesel fuel additive is the thing to use to provide a little extra lubrication, improve fuel cetane ratings, prevent bacterial growth, disperse moisture, and (for wintertime) provide anti-gel properties to keep the fuel flowing at low temperatures. I am currently using Power Service diesel additive which seems to make the engine run quieter and smoother, but Red-Line additive has gotten good reviews as well. Either of these additives will keep fuel fresh, but my guess is that none of the additives will extend fuel life beyond a year or so.

Another tip is to keep your fuel tank full. This will displace air in the tank to help prevent condensation. ....

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-14          66195

Stabil is a good product for Gas as there is little to no shelf life in gas made today. Diesel doesn't seem to have the problem. The labels from Stabil do say it helps diesel to but I find that the shelf life is good for a year plus so it's not as critical. Power Service on the other hand gives a lot to the fuel that is needed for cold weather operation. ....

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-14          66197

lakeman, you can use Stabil in diesel fuel. It says so on the back of the bottle. I use it in my off road diesel that I buy in bulk. The folks that make Stabil make John Deere's fuel additive.

Like Ken said, look in the some of the older threads. The latest thread entitled "Summer / winter diesel conditioners", aside from the "small food fight" in that thead, there is the info. about the fuel conditioners. If you are going to store diesel fuel for any great length time, it would be wise to add a microbiocidal to it as well to prevent any little beasties (algae) growing in it. You can buy it at Tractor Supply Center or other farm stores. ....

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-10-30          67597

use redline diesel fuel conditioner. it will remove water from the fuel,improve cetane numbers and will provide excellant injector pump lubrication. have taken injection pumps apart at over 200000 miles when using this product and have had no signs of wear at all. ....

Fuel Freshness

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-31          67611

Just don't use anti-icing stuff that contains methanol. I believe that leads to new injectors pretty fast. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login