Big larry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-10          70753

What about Biodiesel in Kubota engines.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Biodiesel

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70767

Larry, I am a huge supporter of biodiesel. You can use biodiesel but buy it from a very well known and reputable source. I would be wary of privately made back yard stuff. Use it immediately. Biodiesel does not store as well as dino diesel. Buyer beware.

Biodiesel distributors/manufactures say it is allowable for use, but each engine manufacturer has there own details and requirements for use in order to remain within warranty. For instance read what John Deere has to say about biodiesel use.

http://www.biodiesel.org/pdf_files/farmer_use.pdf

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/tips/tractors/9000/Biodiesel_in_John_Deere_Tractors.html

http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/2002/releases/corporate/020221_biodiesel.html

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/jdharvestlink/PDF-QuickReference/biodiesel.pdf

Cummins restricts use of biodiesel to 5% as well.

http://www.cummins.com/na/pages/en/customerassistance/faq/answers.cfm?uuid=000947AD-64AE-1B8D-BCF080C4A8F00000

This is what Kubota says:

http://www.kubota.com/maintenance3.cfm

When I contracted to purchase tractors for the Army, kubota said they would not warranty the use of any other fuel except conventional diesel. Not even the use of JP-8 or Jet-A. It has been awhile since I completed the last contract buy and Kubota may have changed their position. Sorry I could not find you a definite yes or no in writing from Kubota but that is the same thing I ran into when attempting to get Kubota to participate in a competitive contracting process. I know I am going take some hits from the spit ball shooting gallery for this but John Deere was the only manufacturer that would warranty use of a broad range of alternate fuels.

Personally I would think you could use biodiesel without any problems as long as you ensure purchase of good quality, ASTM standard fuel from a reliable/reputable source. ALWAYS get a reciept when you buy diesel of ANY kind so in the event you get a bad batch, you can prove who and where you purchased it from. This would be of great value in the event that any fuel system damage occurs with any type of diesel. May not guarantee the fuel selling will pay for damages but at least you have a fighting chance.

Biodiesel

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-10          70769

Thanks Dennis, I appreciate you finding the post. My heart skipped a few beats when I hit the post button and it disappeared. ;-) ....

Biodiesel

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-29          72634

Is anyone currently using Bio-Diesel in thier CUT? DO you notice any difference in performance? More hours per tank? Less smoke at startup? Cold weather usage?
I am very interested and am reading what I can find, the problem is just like anything else, I am getting the sales pitch side or the competitors side. I would like an actual users side of the story.
I am having a hard time locating a dealer in my area. I have checked and the closest is about an hours away. Being that Bio does not appear to have a long shelf life I don't know that it would be worth it.
Cost wise, Does it run about the same as Regular Diesel? ....

Biodiesel

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-12-31          72790

I ran the “B2” which is a blend of 2% Bio-diesel for most of the summer in my JD2210. It was $0.05 more per gallon than the regular “On-road diesel”, and about $0.55 more per gallon than the “Off-road dyed diesel”.

I noticed very little difference. Maybe a little less smoke at start-up, and maybe a little smoother sounding. Although, all of this may be only in my head, since I perceived it to be better. I do think if it had been a higher percentage blend, the differences would be more noticeable. I’ve switched back to the regular off-road dyed diesel (due to cost) and use the “Power Service” additive. ....

Link:   Biodiesel.org

Biodiesel

View my Photos
NebraskaRuss
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-04          73049

I'm for anything that will help this country be less dependant on foreign oil. I've used B2 Biodiesel for many thousands of miles in my Ford Excursion and also F350. With both vehicles, there is a noticable difference in the engine noise at idle (quieter), both vehicles perform smoother, and at least with the Excursion, I'll notice improved economy. I attribute this to the higher Cetane rating of the Biodiesel.

I've also used B2 in my Kubota and Lenar tractors with very favorable results. Less smoke at start-up and under load.

One word of caution with Biodiesel though, my supplier tells me it will gell up much faster than regular diesel. I haven't had that problem, but I run Howes Diesel Treament with every tank this time of year, and haven't been gelled using it ever!
Russ ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login