Go Bottom

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-17          74338

I mentioned that I was going to get some PS fuel addtive and my farmer buddy gave me this stuff instead. It is made by Bear Dearborn and is sold under then name Index OTR Plus 2, with the following second title: 20 Below Winter Diesel Premium. It is in a 2.5 gallon container and is meant to treat a 2000 gallon tank of number 2 diesel and reduce gell point by 20 degrees. In extreme winter conditions it recommends a slighly stronger 1 to 1000 gallon ratio.

I am adding it to my home heating oil #2 and it is in my 790 now. Tractor's running fine but it's warm today. I didn'thave it in when it was -5 this week because my tank was already full with road diesel. My only test with the HH #2 and ths additive is about a cup of HH oil I have in the freezer that is now -10*F. It is still very pourable. I see really tiny (you need good eyes) discolorations that look like the beginnings of an oily film. These fleks are very minute and only a very few
in number. I guess thta would be wax? The fuel is not cloudy but not quite as easy to see through as when it is room temperature. No sediments or globules in the liquid. Minus these few surface fleks the liquid seems consistent from top to bottom.

How does it seem to be? At -10 this would seem like a good performance to me but I am no expert.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-18          74342

Use what you know has worked for you in the past. Now is not the time to be experimenting with something that has no track record. The flakes you see are wax crystals and the fuel is more than likely near the cloud point. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-18          74351

I mentioned the conversation I had with my oil dealer in another post. If he's right, summer blend #2 plus additives does not necessarily make a reliable winter blend #2. I also know that my dealer sells different products to people with inside and outside furnace tanks but both are called furnace oil, which is similar to #2-diesel. The oil sold for inside tanks will gell outside.

What I do to make winter blend for here is to start adding #1-diesel (stove oil) to any left over summer blend #2 in the fall. By this time of year I have mostly straight #1 in the tractor and storage containers. Some tractors may not tolerate 100% #1 very well but my dealer said that either works OK in my Ford. I believe the higher sulfur content of #1 diesel fuel compared to kerosene intended for lamps and heaters is better for the engine.

I don't think I'd like to be looking at cloudy fuel this time of year--it got below -30F here last week. I don't know if adding #1 helps fuel that's already clouded but I'm pretty sure that additives don't. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74364

"Use what you know has worked for you in the past. Now is not the time to be experimenting with something that has no track record. The flakes you see are wax crystals and the fuel is more than likely near the cloud point."

True, I suppose I could experiment with the fuel mixture in July, but that wouldn't prove much about it's cold weather driveability now would it Chief :) :) Really though, I understand what your saying, but the tractor isn't mission critical right now with no REAL snow forcast.

I ran out of fuel so I figured what the heck. If the tractor did gell up it wouldn't be that bad. It's pretty easy to add 911 or even remove that fuel filter. Draining the 5 gallon tank is no biggie if things were real bad. Now a similar experiment in the PSD would NOT be fun! From what I saw this fuel would seem to be fine down to at least -10F, that is slightly lower than the coldest temps we really ever see. I will double dose and I feel pretty good that there will be no problems. The stuff was still very thin and clear. I will try the same with the pump fuel and some additive and see what the difference is. I have a feeling the results may not be that different, I have REALLY GELLED winter fuel at +5F! There doesn't seem to be any wax in the rest of the fuel, even if I splash some up on the side of the jar it's clear. It is possible that minute flecking on the surface is moisture that froze out of the trapped air in the jar. When I was checking it out, I breathed a little on the surface and I could see the ice come off my breath as it froze when hitting the surface.

Guess I just need to keep and eye on it and see how it works. I think they only thing I've ruled out is that it will be a BAD gelling problem. Right now I am either good at or borderline at -10F which is 5 degrees lower than our lowest temp this and most years. I am going back to my buddies farm and I will ask how this stuff works with his HH oil. He has MANY tractors so I'll inquire about gell-up frequency if there has been any.

I can't find much about this particular additive. I did find a document on some similar type of additive Bear Dearborn made for U.S. military jets. To be honest the stuff I have smells like PowerService but is MUCH thicker and a little darker in color, probably due to it's much higher concentration.

P.S. I ended up with this tracor outside for days at 0 to -5 and she started like a champ with no block heater used. Don't ask how it got outside ;)

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
DRankin

2004-01-18          74365

Lawman..... based on my experience in conducting scientific experiments in the kitchen I would say you are skating on thin ice here buddy.

Does "she who must be obeyed" know what you have in her freezer? I am still in trouble for using the gravy jar to save some interesting trout parasites, and that was over twenty years ago. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74367

"Lawman..... based on my experience in conducting scientific experiments in the kitchen I would say you are skating on thin ice here buddy.

Does "she who must be obeyed" know what you have in her freezer? I am still in trouble for using the gravy jar to save some interesting trout parasites, and that was over twenty years ago."

No problem here buddy! I am a REAL man and as such, I rule my house......

...oh-awwrigth, I did it while she was sleeping and even then I hid it behind a frozen turkey while I kept one eye on the door to the kitchen :(

:) :) :)

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-18          74369

Scott, you have a point there. I was thinking about when you told me about the fuel gelling in your truck when I posted that and from what I heard; it is COLD up there. Gelled fuel in the truck = RPITA. At least in my Cummins it is. The tractor probably would not be so bad. By the way, I have read that additives like Stanadyne will freeze solid or gell up in the bottle but not when it is mixed with diesel. Go figure. How have you been doing lately? Haven't seen you post much here lately. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74387

"Have seen you post much here lately"

Well since you asked :) Just before the deep freeze and 2 snows this week the ENTIRE family got the flu. My 6 year old daughter got it first and we went to the Dr. on Saturday. The mistake we made was having BOTH parents take care of her. Now we BOTH caught it. Not good when your temperature is 103F and it's -5F and you've got to take care of 6 horses and a sick kid! A day or 2 later and my son wasn't feeling well either. My wife and I were literaly crawling around to get things done. To make things better the block heater in the PSD went so I needed to go out and start it every once in awhile just in case we had an emergency. Sure enough, we did, my daughter couldn't keep an fluids down and needed to go to the ER for an IV and meds to keep her temp down. Thankfully the truck was there because my wifes full size conversion van is THE WORST snow vehicle ever made :(

Everyone is better now but the wife and I look and feel like POWs. You just can't have this real bad strain of flu and be running around in -5F. The only upside was that on a whim I double insulated my yard hydrant just before the freeze was forecast, so at least it didn't freeze like last year. If we had to haul water that might have been the final straw! :) :)

As far as the additives, it is funny how they gunk up in the cold if they are not mixed with fuel. The tractor is running fine on the HH oil with the additive but it's only in the 20's. May actually run quieter on this stuff then the winter pump blend???? While we were sick the stalls just didn't get done well so we stripped them and I just hauled a HUGE trailer of manure to the woods. The trailer was full before I added to it today. This was the most I ever pulled with the tractor, the cart was literally overflowing. I need a truck scale :) Not being sure of the temps this week I wanted to get this stuff to the woods while the field was still nice and frozen.

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-18          74391

Scott, real sorry to hear of your flu epidemic. Glad to hear you are all much better now. We went through a bout of something like that earlier in the Fall. Just a suggestion on the block heater. Mine was not working right either earlier this last Fall and it turned out the electric cord was the problem and was not tightened up all the way. I checked again the other day and a quarter turn out of it tightening it down again. It is in tight spot that makes getting a good grip on it difficult. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74397

Thanks, so you guys had it too this season. This seasons flu was no JOKE. I don't normally get the flu, but you can see how so many young and old people succumb to it yearly.

That's a good idea about the cord. My first thought was that the metal prongs were all oxidized looking so I buzzed them with a wire brush on my DeWalt cordless, no joy. I will do as you suggested and see if the cord is good all the way to the element. My backup plan if she wouldn't turn over was a very small 1500 watt space-heater right on the radiator blowing on the motor fro an hour. I was going to leave the hood open about 6" (to fit the heater) but use a blanket to tent the motor and keep the heat in while directed it at the motor. My buddy gave me this 6' x 6' cloth tarp that the utility companies use to cover high voltage wires from sparking on them. It isn't asbestos but it is very stiff and fire proof. It's almost like a kevlar type of material.

I will try your idea and if taht's not it I'll price a new heater from International, as Ford will surely be twice as much $$$$ She starts reliably without being plugged in but being sick I let her sit for a few days and the record lows were a bad coincidence.

Scott ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-18          74399

Scott, have you checked the resistance of the block heater with a voltmeter? Call your Ford dealer and ask them what the acceptable resistance range readings should be. At least if the cord things does not pan out you can isolate and verify the problem before you take it into the shop. Sorry again to hear you are having such a run of luck. No block heat really sucks in these temps. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74417

Yes that's a good idea. I think I will head over to my old friends at thedieselstop.com and ask about the resistence range. They seem to be more accurate than the average dealer mechanic :) Temps back up in the 20's now so I am OK but I would like it fixed. I usually plug in under 20F.15 ohms is fine.

ON EDIT:

this is what that forum had on the PSD heater-

The gave 15 ohms as a typical number but added-

"The block heater resistance doesn't change as it "wears out". If it's any resistance, it's working. If it's infinity, or open circuit, it's burned out. They either work or don't work, nothing in between"

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-18          74424

That sound about like what the Dodge dealer told me when I checked my block heater. How hard is it to get to your block heater? Do you have to be a hand contorsionist like on mine? ;o) Hopefully it is something simple like the cord. I am installing the block heater kit on my 4410 and it is a threaded plug like on the Cummins. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-18          74436

It is above the spot where the oil filter spins on I think. I will see if it's the cord where it enters the block, if not I am not getting into draining the coolant right now. Truck is too big for the garage and there's NO way I am lying in the snow and getting involved in this. I would probably just use a magnetic oil pan heater until it warms up in the spring. I saw the entire unit w/ cord for $89 online. Hopefully the cord just got some crud in it where it goes on the element. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-19          74450

Scott, a couple of things, first of all have a look at the info. in the attached link below, I think you will find it helpfull. I don't think the cord is too likely to be the culprit though, the cord just plugs in and is held by a steel retainer clip. There is nothing to come loose, except the driver when it's 20 below and the truck won't start.....

Secondly, we started using the 'inline' type heaters a number of years back and find they work MUCH better than the factory supplied in block immersion-type. Partly because they are larger, 1500 watts instead of 1000 watts, but also because they include a small pump which causes the warmed coolant to be forced through the entire engine. If you use your block heater on a timer you will like the circulting-type even more, they will heat up the motor in less than an hour regardless of the temperature.

Best of luck. ....

Link:   Power Stroke Block Heater

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-19          74452

Thanks for the photo Murf. What type/brand of inline are use using? The ones that you splice into the lower radiator hose?

Thanks ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-19          74454

Here's a link to a heater I saw in Popular Mechanics. Their website doesn't give a very good description of the product, but according to the magazine blurb it uses gasoline or diesel to heat the coolant and circulate it through the engine and heater core. The picture looks like it splices inline to the heater hose but not sure about that. FWIW ....

Link:   Webasto

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-19          74457

Scott, I'm not sure what the brand name of the units we use is, but we get them from our local Frieghtliner dealer's parts department. They do go in the lower rad hose.

They call the particular type we use a 'full-bypass' type. It is not merely a tube with a heater in it, it has a pocket off to one side that contains a heater element, pump and gate valve. When 110 volts is applied to the unit it causes all flow in the lower rad hose to go THROUGH the bypass (the heater and pump) and when the power is interupted the valve is pulled back open by a spring. The advantage is when it's not operating it has no effect on flow at all, when it is going ALL flow is through it and it creates very good circulation.

The unit Ken mentions is also very good, problem is the price, a small unit for a P/U is still a couple of thousand dollars.

Best of luck. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-19          74458

Here is another type of coolant heater that several guys use over on TDR that have had good results but the price is tough to swallow. ....

Link:   click here

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-19          74469

Yes the full flow is nice. On my gas van I would want that for sure. On the PSD I can get away with the type with the element in the flow. The truck runs so cool a very slight flow obstruction won't change anything. The fan clutch very rarely engages even on the hottest days. From what I see all thes diesel pick-ups don't have heat issues unless you have a mechanical failure. In the winter I block almost the entire radiator off and it runs right on temp even if we have some warm day.

Those other diesel fired heaters are real nice if you don't have acceess to an outlet and live in climates thta are cold most of the year but $2000 dollars is insane for me.

Hopefully I ge tthis one worked but we'll see. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Murf

2004-01-19          74470

Scott, you're right on the money about the running temp.'s, unless you really work a PSD they will not heat up. For the average user the rad. is over-kill without a doubt.

You really start to appreciate all that cooling capacity when you start to work them though, our trucks regularly pull floats loaded with everything needed to do a job further than 'commuting distance' from our yard. Instead of sending more trucks we usually send 'The Paddy Wagon', a 15 passenger van with a cargo trailer for luggage behind it. The float trucks routinely pull a tri-axle float (3,000 #) with 4 CUT's (4,000 # each) on it, a total of about 10 tons, plus the truck itself.

They do warm up under those conditions, on big hills in nasty hot weather the A/C has to be shut of for short periods to keep the temp.'s down.

I know it sounds silly, but check the extension cord that you use on the block heater, I have heard of lots of them going south from the load of a block heater when it's really cold outside.

Best of luck. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2004-01-19          74472

Yeah, the only time I really set the fan off is when I am low speed a manuevering with a trailer or when I get off the highway after real high speeds. I think the vans run a little hotter due to the cramped engine compartment. I know my van doesn't have much airflow. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-01-25          75047

Cheif: Are you having trouble with the block heatere on your Dodge? I've had to replace the cord on mine a couple of times, very easy and cheap too! They tend to get pinched or break inside or partially break, causing loss of current flow and little or no heat in the block. ....

Any use this stuff

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-25          75050

Yep, exactly what was going on with mine. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login