Go Bottom

Engine Coolant Antifreeze Question

View my Photos
NHDaveD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-25          84215

I need to add some coolant to my CUT. I probably should drain, flush, and re-fill. My manual says to use JD TY6377 low silicate antifreeze or equivalent. Can I use normal automotive low silicate antifreeze? Is it equivalent? Also, If I decide to flush it the manual says to use JD PT500 or PT592 cleaner / flushers or an equivalent. What would be an equivelant?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-04-25          84224

Boy you like to open a can of worms. There is a long thread on the Toyota Pickup thread. I think everyone learned a little out of the discussion. It is well work the read and someone found so good sites near the end with more info than you really need to know. In general the low silica is the GM long life or equivalent in NA.
JD oils etc tend to be relatively reasonable so I am not sure how much you will save on a small rad. ....

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-04-25          84227

Wow, that is somewhat of a can of worms - a small one but, a can of worms just the same. Thanks for the info. I read the whole thread but, I'll go back and read the links later tonight. The info about which water to use has peaked my curiosity.
It wasn't that I was trying to save money buying the non JD material, It was more a matter of convenience. Auto parts stores - a dime a dozen with convenient hours VS JD dealers - few and far between with so-so hours. You are right. For the amount I'll use of all the required liquids and oils I wouldn't save much by not buying most of them right from one of my local JD dealers. Except maybe the Diesel fuel conditioner but, that's another can of worms from a different thread.
I guess I'll sit down with my manual and make a list of all and go on a shopping spree at one of my local JD dealers.

Thanks! ....

View my Photos
trbomax
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-04-25          84264

Do any of the mfgs reccomend the chromate additive to the af to prevent cylinder cavitation? Ive wondered why I havent seen anything about that here.All the diesel truck engine mfgrs require its use.The 7.3 navistars really caught a bad rap re this in the 80's.Cummins and Detroit both want it used as well. Ive had two different Motorhomes with Cummins and a Detroit,and they are quit adimate [sp?] about it.The PSD must have it too.I put it in the NH out of habit.You must test for the level 2 times a year as it gets used up. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-26          84318

I don't know if a product I believe is called Fleet Guard is the same type additive. It is supposed to reduce cavitation in the water jackets. I've heard of water jackets being perforated by cavitation on some engines. As I understand, Fleet Guard doesn't have a long life and must be replenished frequently as mentioned. I think it's sold with strips for testing the concentration. I've even heard of drip systems used to keep the concentration up.

I don't think most CUT diesel engines are as prone to cavitation as some larger diesels. If chromate additives are longer lasting they may be more convenient for use in CUT's. My NH dealer didn't think it was much of a problem for my Ford and just recommended changing coolant every two years. He did say that he had a log skidder in where the coolant had never been changed and the water jackets were gone. Cavitation is an issue. ....

View my Photos
b8fish

2004-04-26          84326

As an FYI--the local JD dealer here sells Peak antifreeze/coolant not the JD brand. ....

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-04-26          84404

The way it was explaned to me was that the high compression and related harmonics present in a diesel cause bubbles to form on the cyl walls.When these bubbles get large enough,they collapse,and the erosion that is caused by this collapse is "cavitation. The additives, which are not present in any off the shelf af,form a sacrificial barrier that prevents the iron from being eroded.The guy that explained it was a teacher at Cummins service school.I have seen 7.3 Ford Navistars with perforated cyls, and both of the JD diesel fork lifts I have at the marina had perforated liners. We bought them used and in 3 years got a wake-up call regarding the former owners maintence proceedures. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2004-04-27          84454

That's a good explanation. I never knew how it worked but speculated that maybe the additive reduced surface tension. A sacrificial layer sounds like a better explanation.

My speculation for why the bubbles form is a variation. It has to do with sound being pressure waves and water boiling at lower temperatures in lower pressures. Of course, there may be better explanation here as well. If that's true then seems like a good reason to make sure the rad cap holds pressure.

View my Photos
trbomax

2004-04-27          84480

In any case, I guess the 4 bucks it costs is cheap insuranse.What you are saying about the bubble formation also makes sense. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login