Go Bottom

HELP I can t believe I did this gas in the hydrolic resivour

View my Photos
James McNeilly
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-06-29          89591

My dad was gone on vacation and I said I could mow his lawn. I filled up the tank, mowed two hours and then realized when I happened to look at the back of the tractor that the tank was under the seat. I could not believe it!

My dad's tractor is a Ingersol 4020 hydriv. With the quart that I poured in I feel sick. I spent 2 hours changing/draining the oil after working the pumps.

What I would love to know is a few things. Does or would the gas being in the resivor mean that it is circulated automatically through the whole system? I assume it is. Are the pumps all metal or really tough so I didn't damage anything? I figured after doing the oil changes that it should be fine. One last thing 20/40 is just an engine oil used in the hydrolic lines.

I am dying over this. Trying to help my dad but ended up feeling stupid. I am not the only one that has done this I assume, but maybe the only one to admit it? Well, thanks for any input, I need to know if I did the right thing. jtm

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-06-29          89596

James; You aren't the first or the last to do such a thing, I pulled some real boners too. I'm really not familiar with an Ingersol brand tractor. I'd almost guarantee if you put the gas in the hydro resovoir that it circulated thru the system. Long as it was still working properly when you shut down for the fluid change you've allready done about all that can be done. Yes all the pumps are metal. Did the fluid/gas mix you draind appear to have any metal flakes or chips in it? Gasoline is'nt much of a lubricant, so it's posssible that a pump could have scored. About all you can do is just keep running it checking to se if the system overheats or becomes erratic, long as it keeps working properly you got lucky. Hope this helps. Frank. ....

View my Photos
mcbirdman

2004-06-29          89619

Hardwood,

Thanks. Now I can see your message. I only put less than a quart in it to top off the tank. Looking back at the level it says to maintain (5or 6 inches below the neck) would be a quart at most. Appears there is maybe 4 qts in there? so it was just dilluted a little. Metal pumps - great! Am I right to assume that hoses and seals made for oil are still fine against gas? (petrolium based material) Also I wasn't towing or plowing. Pretty much running at one speed. Didn't notice any metal flakes but ... Knowing it was mixed in with oil probably sounds a lot better than filling it all with gas though.....

Thanks again, I would feel fine if it were mine, but it is my DAD's.... jtm ....

View my Photos
oneace
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-07-04          90054

It will most likely be fine. I would not worry too much about it. ....

View my Photos
mcbirdman

2004-07-05          90110

my dad said no problem except he mentioned he just changed oil 2 wks ago... so felt bad for me... ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login