Go Bottom

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
NHDaveD
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-06          99947

Is it safe to say that my local gas stations here in southern New Hampshire are already carrying the "winter blend"?

Any rule of thumb when they normally switch from "summer blend" to "winter blend" and then back again?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
Iowafun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-11-07          100003

I asked a local station in central Iowa about that a few years back. They didn't start ordering the blended diesel fuel until the temperature was consistently dropping below freezing. We haven't had that in Iowa yet considering it was 70 degrees yesterday. Don't worry, they're calling for snow on Thursday.

Thank for reminding me that I need to pick up blended fuel when it comes available.

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
buzst1

2004-11-08          100063

Dave,
Its best to ask at the station if they have changed over to winter blend yet.Here in southern NH I have found that they mostly changed by Nov 15th. BTW an additive like powerservice or others makes a big difference in the winter.
Good luck.. ....

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
MadRefereee
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-11-08          100067

I used to own a service station in Manchester NH. Around November 1 the distributor always called and asked how much diesel was left in my 6000 gallon storage tank. He then delivered kerosene to cut with the existing diesel to make pseudo winter blend. All regular deliveries after that were actual winter blend. Mix ratio was 2 parts summer blend to 1 part kero.

I now buy all my off road from Ciardelli's in Milford. Their off road is premium diesel and should be winter blend by now.

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-08          100069

Around here (North Central Wisconsin) winter blend starts to show up about Nov. 1 and goes to April 1. Some stations still keep "unwinterized" #2 on hand all winter though, so be careful and when in doubt, ask.

If the attendant can not tell you what their fuel is, DON'T BUY THERE! (My mistake a couple years ago) ....

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2004-11-08          100081

What happens when you dont have winter blend in it? I have a full tank of summer mix and will not use much of it till well into December (hunting season is almost on us and the snow will just have to wait!) Should I add anything to my tank full of summer blend? If so what?
Thanks guys
tom ....

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
AV8R

2004-11-08          100084

You could try adding enough Kerosene to make it a 60/40: #2/kerosene blend (std. Winterblend). Maybe one of the aftermarket addatives will do, too? I don't know anything about them, I haven't ever used them. ....

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
NHDaveD

2004-11-10          100129

Thanks for the input guys. I guess if I go the Truck Stop route they owner / manager should know. Around here most of the gas stations are the cookie cutter brand names that are run like the mini-marts that they are. Except that new Sunoco down the street - just off the highway. He caters to truckers - even has parking spaces for them. Me thinks I will ask.

I'll let you know when I find out. ....

Winter Blend Diesel Fuel

View my Photos
JDLutey

2005-07-12          113357

Couple of years ago -- Dec. 2003 -- I had my new NewHolland gell while plowing my drive (which is near 400') here in the N. of Omaha area. (it was about -10) I went and got 5 gal of kerosene and that sure helped it !! I spent a year in Greenland .. at 60-70 below zero, they never shut them off except inside a heated hanger .. and the Diesel vehicles there had pure kero with a "splash" of gasoline. BUT you gotta consider the "lubricity" problem then. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login