Go Bottom

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
RollTideRam
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-03-13          126053

Anyone on here have 98.5-2002 CTD? My lift pump is showing sign of going out. I bought a kit to move the lift pump pretty close to the tank and got a new pump. Have heard this will make them live longer, I hope this will be a good solution and much cheaper than an aftermarked fix. JC

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-13          126080

Yep my former '99 went through 4 pumps in 2 years. My sources at DC tell they had a bunch that had motor bushings that wore out prematurely.
Inspect your filter bowl for gold or bronze-colored particles---that's your pump bushings!
I found that the same pump and filters are sold at the Cummins dealer (over the road trucks) and the price went from nearly $400 down to $120 for the pump. And from $33 to $14 for the filters. ....

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
RollTideRam

2006-03-14          126094

Vulcan Ind. makes a kit that has bigger fuel lines and a bracket to move the lift pump close to the tank. Geno's garage got Vulcan to test this mounting with stock size fuel lines. No difference in pressure. The Vulcan kit is $99 and the Geno's version is $69 I think. It is supposed to give better fuel pressure, put the pump where it was designed to go, and make changing out the pump a 10 minute job. Hope it works. JC ....

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-03-16          126197

I have a 2002 Dodge Ram 2500 with the Cummins HO. I put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the injector pump each time I change the oil and about half way to the next change. It has been very gradually going down a lb. or two. I will eventually install a set of gauges to montitor fuel pressure, egt, and boost pressure but that will have to do for now. Thanks for the tip on Geno's kit. I will have to take a look at it. ....

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
jkinney

2006-03-17          126233

Just logged on to look around some of us on Turbo Diesel Register have been stocking up on lift pumps from cummins part # 4090046 $64.90 If one dealer wont sell it to you call another. You can read the whole thread at tdr under 2nd gen engine and transmision ....

Dodge CTD lift pump

View my Photos
jkinney

2006-03-17          126234

Chief; as for the kit from Genos I bought a kit right from Vulcan it is 1/2" line clean to the vp44, the genos kit only uses 3/8 to the fuel filter ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login