Go Bottom

electric power washer

View my Photos
danwhitworth
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-20          179102

I have a generac 5hp washer that the carb has gummed up and the pump has gone out at the same time. I am considering a electric washer at about 2000psi (keep generac inside always, treated gas with stabil and changed oil) kinda tired of persnickty small gas engines, thought a electric would be more reliable. Any advise is appreciated. Dan

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

electric power washer

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-21          179103

I'm thinkin' it depends upon the brand and place of origin. I've only owned one electric, and it left a bad taste in my mouth. The hoses were cheap, suffering pinhole leaks within the first few months use. The adjustable nozzle leaked from day one. A quality replacement hose and wand cost over half the original purchase price. And there was too much cast white metal on the pump itself. Within 2 years a critical piece on the low pressure side snapped. No abuse - just plain old metal fatigue, because I had to disassemble the housing to determine what actually happened. From there it was just a short trip to the trash can. I soon replaced the POS with a gasoline engined model, which has already outlived the electric by a factor of two.

That said, if you buy an electric of quality - which I define as NOT being made in China - you may end up with a better experience than did I.

//greg// ....

electric power washer

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-21          179106

I have had lots of problems with my Generac also. I have a Karcher electric that does about 1500 psi. It doesn't pump near the volume nor pressure as a gas powered. Have had it for about 10 years now. It can still rip up the deck if the wand is too close. ....

electric power washer

View my Photos
kwschumm

2011-06-21          179118

Our neighbor bought a Karcher from Costco. Must have lasted six hours before it died. Replaced it under warranty and the next one might have made 12. Saw a bunch of them on sale "refurbished" at an outlet store. I wouldn't even consider a consumer grade electric washer and a quality electric probably costs more than a good gas one. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login