Go Bottom

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
brokenarrow
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2006-07-07          131852

I am following in AV8R's foot steps. I am holding my breath right now. A piece of land just came on the market this week in a remote area. This is it folks! What I have been looking for to build my next house on! It is 35 min.
from my cabin and 160 acres (and tractor etc). Its only 40 min. to a very nice sized country town(city) that has great employment. It is 9 minute"s off a 4 lane hiqhway that leads to that town Great highway driving since this is way out in no whereville. Its on a dead end road. NO other houses except a farm (1/2 mile away). This dead end was put in because that farmer used to have solo's there at the end of the dead end road. He had run ELECTRIC down the 1/2 mile road. All other land around what I want to buy is farm land owned. This is 25 acres of woods on a dead end road with the closest neighbor 1/2 mile away!!!!!
I am in love! I am crossing my fingers that NO one bid on it today, if not, I will own it! She will get what she is asking for it tomarrow. I have been pulling my hair out the last two days since I found this land because I could not get away to get up there and put in a offer. (I google earthed it, it looks perfect)
Wish me luck!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
DK35vince

2006-07-07          131853

Sounds nice.
Good luck.. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-07          131856

Sounds like your own slice of heaven. Best of luck! ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
shortmagnum
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2006-07-08          131867

You've been talking about moving north for a long time. In fact, I thought you had moved north. Good luck with the purchase.
Dave ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Iowafun

2006-07-08          131878

I know that nervous feeling. I hope it works out for you!! Sounds like a great place to put a house. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-09          131922

Thanks all
Short Magnum
I already built a house on the 160 acres "Up North" (hee hee). What is happening is that I can't stand the road noise!!! Although I am about 450 foot off the road I need to be about 14000' away from the highway. for me to be happy.

I will post this question in the right forum also but thought I would put it here also.
Looks Like I will be getting it, (fingers crossed) I offered the full price and there are no other offers as of Sat. Soooo,,, My new property has many ridges on it. Ridge meaning about a 20' or so rise in ground level as so you have to 'dig in" to get up when walking. One spot has a drop off on ALL four sides and is like a flat area at the top.
We are having a walk out basement. Here is my question: I need to mark all the trees I want to save in about an acre area out behind the house. This is ALL grown up brush and saplings mixed in with full mature pine and maple. I want to eliminate ALL brush and saplings as to make my yard like the preverbial "PARK" like setting. I will leave a few nice large trees but I want ALL OTHER vegitation tilled under, cut off and shredded. I will eliminate all the trees that are large that I want to save for fire wood but I need to hire someone that can come in wiht a piece of equipment that can shred and pulverize and till up all the rest of an acre area. BIG job I know but it needs to be done. What do you suggest? ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
hardwood

2006-07-10          131939

Broken; I don't want to rain on your parade, but I've saw tree thinning done a couple times that did'nt work out too well. Folks who are supposed to know say that after a timber stand becomes too thick the trees grow too tall and spindly competing for sunlight to stand on their own after thinning. I hope it works out for you, but I can show you a couple thinning jobs where the first windstorm took a lot of trees down. Thinning is good but maybe on a gradual basis over a few years. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
DenisS

2006-07-10          131941

I agree with hardwood, you have to look at the crowns and see which trees are fat enough to look good on their own. If you only remove small undergrowth trees (20' or less) then you won't have that problem, but you won't get any grass growth either.

Another problem is that thinning out tends to stress out the remaning trees (which grew up in a sheltered environment) and a lot of them will get sick and die in a few years. So at the end you end up chopping them all down, end up planting new trees and loose a few years, while you could have planted your park right away. But it all depends on the existing growth.

I agree on road noise, too. It's a bummer. Glad you got a dead end road location.

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kwschumm

2006-07-10          131953

Frank is right about the thinning. Our woods are adjacent to land owned by a timber company. They clear cut a few years ago and a lot of trees that are on the border have since blown over. The trees that grew up sheltered were too tall and spindly for the unsheltered wind load. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-10          131961

I thinned out for house about 7 - 8 years ago. Left the trees I wanted and not really any more. Some beautifull white oaks, some cherries. With each big wind (here hurricanes) went 3 of the 5 white oaks, and this past year lost another cherry. Still have 2 white oaks and about 5 cherry trees.

You might do well to hire a true professional to review the trees and make suggestions on which to remove and when and if there is any pruning needed to help save those left.

The least you can bother the roots of those left the better off you will be. Many trees will suffer from root damage and that might be one of the reasons the wind affects them so much or dry conditions.

As to road noise, here roads are popping so fast even the computer maps don't keep up. Too much change, too fast. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-10          131974

Well we got the land, offer was accepted and she sign the papers.
The tree thinning? I should say clear cut and remove ALL timber weather it be by truck or by chipper. After wards I want a machine to come in and grind everything on the ground (I have seen some of these machines that have around a 8 foot carbide toothed what ever you call it tearing up the ground and stumps to about an 8 inch depth
I want around an acre of nothing but grass and a few larger trees. If tose trees fall over,,, so be it LOL> The plan is to open it up enought to lower the amount of bugs while out back.
Will post pics asap

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-11          131985

brokenarrow,

Congratulations!

We have wide open spaces around our house in three directions for a few hundred yards, about 75 feet in fourth direction. Just how open do you have to get it to stop those bugs?

On the trees, just be sure you don't leave any that could hit the house and let them fall where they may. LOL Well hopefully not on anything else either.

We cleared a lot of trees from 2 inches to 30 inches for our current house. Had the stumps of about 8 inches up ground a few inches below ground level. For about 3 or 4 summers now having fun of filling in those rotting stump holes.

God Bless your site and work there. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-11          132020

Well not exactly a 'bug net" but there is a 5 million percent difference in the amount of pesky flying critters
on a hot summer day in an open grassy yard than if your walking under the canopy of a forrest. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
AV8R

2006-07-11          132023

Except this year, Arrow. The ticks are so thick in the grass on my property (about 40 acres of the 76 is hay) they'd about carry you away! ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-11          132026

Brokenarrow
Congrats on your deal. Clearing and setting up for landscapeing is a job, but a lot of fun and you can get a great deal of satisfaction from the results. Just an idea, you may want to draw out the area in order to get a feel for what you may need for landscaping after building the house. Trees are money, more money when they are standing.

good luck ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132040

FWIW, in the golf course business, we *never* allow stumps to be ground anywhere that will be 'finished' grass afterwards.

It is only allowed in rough areas, or other "out of play" areas like surplus lands or roadsides.

The problem is the amount of raw wood you are going to grind up and introduce into the soil in a relatively small area around where the stump used to be. Within a few years it all starts to breakdown and decompose. This causes two problems. One, it makes a big change in the soil composition in one small area, the grass will be different, possibly out of balance, if it was a confirous tree, likely *very* acidic. Secondly, all that decomposing material will cause settling as it reduces in volume, and also as the stirred up soil naturally compacts back to it's former level.

Whenever possible we dig out and remove stumps. If you're interested I can probably hook you up with some folks that would come in and take down the trees in exchange for the wood. Then you just need a local contractor with a good sized excavator to yank the stumps. Since you will likely need a driveway & stuff anyways the cost will be minimal to do it all at once.

I'm going to be in your neck of the woods the end of this month, at Oshkosh, let me know if you want some info. or contacts. I know a few in your area.

Best of luck. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132042

Having done the stump grinding deal and now living with the experience with many stump holes, it does have draw backs. The only way I would want stumps ground would be you can not distrub the area or their rot will be not an issue or such. The chips were removed so that was not an issue.

Finding people here who will cut even fine pines for the wood itself is hard for an acre or so, the demand for clearing is so great. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132045

Kenneth, I beg to differ, we routinely get people who will come out to pick up as little as just one single tree.

The trick is finding the right people with the right use for the wood.

Best of luck. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132047

Murf,

I very much understand and a few years ago it was like that here. Now the problem is there is so much of most kinds of constuction work and all it spins off companies are able to totally cherry pick. Move over a county and it is totally different. The demand for tree removal here is large enough and there is not sufficient supply of people who do that type of work and add to that the small saw mills are all out of business now.

Now, it can still be possible to have an individual to cut a tree down for the wood. But it is an individual and not a company. So if there is damage done who pays?

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-12          132054

Kenneth, we have a network of people all across the country we can tap, they are all lic. contrators and fully insured, they are just very small companies who like very small jobs.

I like dealing with owner/operators where possible, I get better service and have less problems.

Best of luck. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-12          132059

I cannot give trees away. If I cut them and haul them I know people who will take them off my hands. Thanks but no thanks. After grinding the stumps remove as much of the chipped wood as you can and mound dirt up over the removed stump. As the time goes by it will some what level itself. You do not need a 4' mound, slighty mounded will be fine. Most pine will turn to "fat lighter", and will only rot a little. If you do nothing the hole will last for years. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
kthompson

2006-07-12          132061

Murf,

My experience is like SG has as the next post. If you have someone who is in my area I would like to hear from them. I can probably help them out along and along.

Thanks,

kt ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-13          132090

Kenneth, I don't know about as far up as your area off the top of my head, but I will check if you want.

SG's area is another deal, there's a guy I know in Jax who has a portable sawmill behind a 5 ton truck, he's pretty happy to get free trees.

Best of luck. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
SG8NUC

2006-07-13          132106

give me his number ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
Murf

2006-07-13          132107

SG, click on my name to the left, then click on "Send Murf a Private Message" and give me an email address I will put him in contact with you.

I would send it to you, but yours is blocked.

Best of luck. ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
brokenarrow

2006-07-13          132132

Just got back to the conversation. Interesting! Murf, my daughters godfather is a logger and owns a smaller proceser
(SP BAD ) it can handle trees up to 16" dia so it will work for what I need to clear since I will want to keep most of any trees larger than that. The land dont have too many large trees but I feel just enough. No marketable lumber (so to speak since fuel is so high I dont have enough on the land to make it worth while)
Murf, I very much appreciate your offer. My buddy sometimes is buisy with larger jobs and may not have time for my clear cut. I will pm you with my e-mail. If you come up with someone that is willing to clear off the acre and remove all the trees/saplings EVERYTHING let me know.
Cutting is not the problem its removing everything afterwards that is the job.

I understand about the roots of larger trees and what happens after you "stump" a tree, I found that out many years ago (its a good place to grow mushrooms but not grass). I plan to leave all the larger trees (which is not many like I said) I was wondering about those machines I see that have a huge roller type do hickey with spikes on her, Hud-son forrest equipment has a pulveriser on the web that I was wondering about.

Murf, if you can find or know someone in the Eau Claire Wisconsin area that will cut and remove an acre of my land I would be very interested, its hard to find folks you can trust to do a job unless you know them or know someone who knows them.
Thanks ....

Brokenarrows new place

View my Photos
ronald65

2006-11-19          137113

Don't want to rain on your parade, but I had the same thoughts when I moved to my present home,30 yrs ago. Now I've got a lot more neighbors Than I Had where I moved from.If you could buy 25 acres,Whats to stop someone else from buying 25 acres.Just a cautionary note. Ron ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login