Go Bottom

Farmall H front wheel clamp

View my Photos
shinefeak
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-25          106786

Hi,
My friend has a 1946 potato Farmall H ( wide front) sitting in his back yard. It rusty but runs, and I have finally convinced him we should get it out of the weather and take a shot at restoring it.
It got laid up when the front rim corroded thru. A rim was obtained years ago but never installed, and in the process the wheel clamps were lost.
Please see Pic 16, the part is labeled 10. Does anyone know where I could get three of these?
Also could anyone comment on what type of set-up would be required to trailer this? My friend with the tractor has a Ram 1500 with 360 and another friend has 2 axle 16 ft car trailer rated for 5000lb. with a brake on one axle.
This would be a one time move but would involve a 225 mile ride from sea level to 1600 ft above. Would the above setup be pushing it?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
yooperpete
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2005-02-25          106788

You should be able to order that detail from any Case/IH dealer. Believe that is common with various models like A,C,H,M and slightly newer like 200,300,400. You may be able to also find these at some tractor salvage yards. Lastyear someone posted the name of a big salvage yard in the NY area if my memory is good. It may have been Bill Mullens who has restored an "A" and is doing or done a "C". ....

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-02-25          106791

It wasn't a salvage yard, I actually bought my Super C in New York.

I've been lucky, and haven't needed a salvage yard, which is good because there aren't any around here.

I get all of my factory IH parts from Art White (I order by phone and they mail them to me); they have great service and are very helpful. You should probably check with them or your local IH dealer before you trouble yourself trying to find the clamps used; they may be cheap enough new.

http://www.whitesfarmsupply.com/

I've seen those clamps on ebay pretty frequently, too.

Good luck. I'm always glad to hear of another Farmall brought back to life.

Bill

View my Photos
BillMullens

2005-02-25          106792

P.S.

If you check with the local tractor/tractor pull club, you can probably find somebody with a bucket full of those clamps.

Bill ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2005-02-25          106797

"has a Ram 1500 with 360 and another friend has 2 axle 16 ft car trailer rated for 5000lb. with a brake on one axle.
This would be a one time move but would involve a 225 mile ride from sea level to 1600 ft above. Would the above setup be pushing it?"

Shine, It looks like the H weighs about 3200 lbs so your pickup and trailer should handle the load. The most important thing is that the pickup you are using has a brake controller set up that will actuate the trailer brakes.

Also, if the H "potato" model is the same as the "vegetable model" it has increased ground clearance. The standard H is already tall so be careful of the possible high center of gravity when you haul.
Dave ....

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2005-02-25          106803

The clamp style front rim wasn't used for a lot of years till they went to the more common rim with the three lugs riveted on the rim that bolted to the cast hub. I've had lots of old Farmall stuff around, but never owned one with that style rim. The clamp in your picture looks a lot like the rear wheel rim clamps, they may be the same. If they are the same there are lots of them around. Best of luck. Frank. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login