Go Bottom

New board

View my Photos
drcjv.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-19          64301

Great to see the new board!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New board

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-19          64316

Some where between this board and the antique according to my kids, I think I've got a new home. ....

New board

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-09-19          64362

I often wonder how many of "us" have, or have had, antique tractors but don't talk about them much. I get a kick out of the differences in opinions about antiques vs. modern compacts. On this board, hardly a good word is said about the older tractors, on YT Mag hardly a good thing is said about compacts.

I like them both.

Bill ....

New board

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-09-19          64363

I have a NH compact tractor, but on my family farm we had a Farmall Cub, Allis Chalmers WD, Two JD As, JD 720, JD 4020 and a Ford 8N. Some or all of these would be classified as antique. The oldest one would be about 60 years and the newest would be about 35 years old. We don't have that big farm anymore, but I am certainly familiar with the older tractors. I just don't have one now and I am not very interested in restoring old tractors. ....

New board

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-09-19          64364

I have a new TC33D, but I also have a 53 cub, 57 cub, 61 JD 2010 and a 53 ford jubilee. The funny thing is by looking at the old tractors you can see what people like us were buying and talking about 40 years ago. The cub was pretty much state of the art when it came out in 47 and today many are still used with a belly mower. The problem with the mower is the tractor does not have a live PTO. The tractor is still probably the tractor for cultivating crops with its cultivision set up. I have about 90% of all the implements made for the cub, but it does not work anymore it is restored and just for shows now. I show it with a one row planter and side dresser. The tractor was bought new by my father and will some day go to my son. When I was 7 my brother took it out when no one was home and when he jerked the clutch I fell of the belly deck and under the back wheel. (150lbs wheel weight on) I broke my collar bone several ribs and had a collapsed lung. Nothing compared to what my brother got when my father found out. Until I was about 11 you could still see marks from the ag tires on my chest. As good as the cub or the jubilee were they are no match for the new compacts, but I still love them. This summer I went to the Red Power round up in Bloomsburg, Pa there must have been 500 tractors there it was quite a sight. ....

New board

View my Photos
BillMullens

2003-09-19          64375

I have a TC29, which I use for mowing and with the backhoe attachment. But I use the '47 Farmall A for anything that it is capable of, such as pulling logs, rocks or a trailer. It is more pleasant to use and listen to, though I know my opinion is colored by the history of the tractor...it is the first one I ever drove. My Granddad bought it new in 1947, and I finished restoring it this summer. I can't say I'm anxious to restore any more for a while, though I really like the Super C's. And I have a "free" Farmall H waiting at the neighbor's house when I'm ready for another project...Dad has already mentioned he'd like to have his Allis G painted...his Cub looks pretty sad parked next to the shiny A...etc, etc.

Granddad rolled the A once cultivating corn on a hillside. He didn't get hurt, so it makes a good story for some other time.

Bill ....

New board

View my Photos
Southernman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-26          64881

We have a IH 1256. It's a great tractor. ....

New board

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-26          64884

Comparing the old tractors to the new I often call many of the newer design hot rod tractors. Take an old A or Cub with good tires and they would stand right up on the back tires to pull a large load up a hill. They would slowly raise the front end and transfer the weight to the rear wheels and you could still maintain control with the front in the air about a foot,steer with the inferior brake system until it would go no more. The many of the newer tractors if they had the traction of the Cub would probably blow the drive train apart if they were to do it in two wheel drive. ....

Go Top

Share This

Member Login